Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing Polaroid

Freezing Polaroid

Having hoarded all I can of my beloved FP-100B, I now have to figure out how to store it.

I know most of you freeze your film, but how do you store your instant films? Does freezing rupture the pods?

Thank you!
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Freezing Polaroid

I keep mine in the refrigerator, not the freezer. I have heard that freezing can damage it, but I do not have any solid data.

Do not freeze it. The pods can burst as frozen liquids can take up more space than non-frozen. This is why frozen pipes burst.

Steve.

Thanks guys. Anyone actually tried it? Maybe I'll sacrifice a partial pack for an experiment ...
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    Thanks guys. Anyone actually tried it? Maybe I'll sacrifice a partial pack for an experiment ...
    Why bother? Please re-read Steve Smith's post and think about the foodstuff that is currently in your freezer. Or freeze a can of soda pop as your experiment. You don't think Polaroid put "do not freeze" on their packaging for no reason at all, do you?

Ease up on the tone there Brian. Anyone old enough to type knows that liquids expand when frozen.

In my initial post (which you didn't read) I ask: "Does freezing rupture the pods?". Whether or not a frozen bottle will burst depends on how full it is, how flexible it is and what's inside. As to the foodstuff in my freezer (which is exactly what I was thinking of when I posed the question), I freeze almost-full glass bottles of olive oil all the time and they don't burst, because the oil doesn't expand like water.

Nowhere on my packet of FP-100C (which you didn't read) does it say not to freeze the film. I am 80% sure it's a bad idea, but I am trying to get maximum life out of this film, so I am still keen to hear from anyone who actually knows the answer.

Thanks

While discussing the cessation of production of FP-100C45 with a Fuji rep I asked about storage. He recommended the fridge, not the freezer, and storing flat (unlike Polaroid sheet film, which is best stored vertically, standing on the short side).

Best,
    Helen

Thank you very much Helen!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    (which you didn't read)...

...so I am still keen to hear from anyone who actually knows the answer.
    Yes, Uri... I did read it. Sorry to hear you don't like my "tone" but ...

I have experience. I had some accidentally freeze. The back left corner of my fridge is colder htan the rest and stuff in that area tends to freeze. The pods do not survive freezing.

I have no idea what is on the box of Fuji... and you are correct that I never read the box you posess. I think that perhaps Fuji did an incomplete job of copying Polaroid if they forgot that warning. Did they also forget the "Store flat" warning that was on the Polaroid boxes?

Yes they did. Anyway, let's all be friends now.