Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anoyne recognize this long lens support system here?

Re: Anoyne recognize this long lens support system here?

Quote Originally Posted by sultanofcognac View Post
    . . . Oh Great!
    Now you've made me go and buy a Friction Magic Arm and two Super Clamps. I really wish you people would quit discussing cool "stuff" that I most certainly will probably need (like with my Schneider 5.6 300 on my Shen Hao IIA 4x5).

Sheesh!
    They grabbed me too. More incentive to get back to work on my little long lens camera of nothing at all.

I'm very happy to be aware of the devices.

Thanks Dominique. I have to have a look at my 8x10 when I get home. The back standard on this camera is pretty clearly bigger than 8x10, presumably custom made to fit an Arca function carrier. If that's true, the intermediate standard looks to me like it may be an Arca 8x10 standard. The bellows would be custom throughout.

If that Gitzo tripod is carbon fiber, as it appears to be, it's interesting because when I bought my magic arms and super clamps, I was advised not to use them directly on my Gitzo carbon fiber legs. That struck me as good advice, but it looks like Polidori is doing so without difficulty.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

and having used those magic arms, and tons of other grip equipment, I wanted to make you guys aware of matthews Teenie Weenie grip gear. I think the items on this page would be lighter and more versatile solution that could be customized with rods purchased at the hardware store or film tools.
    Using the mini cardellini clamps, mini grip heads and the rods with connectors, a very strong camera/lens support could be made.

http://www.filmtools.com/filmtools-t...ip-format.html

That Polidori setup looks flimsy to me. The whole setup is on one tripod and much of the vibration comes from the tripod. Using two tripods clamped together, possibly using the clamps mentioned above would be a better approach. Mount the camera on the connecting bar between the two tripods. Use the bungee chord wrapped tightly around the tripod legs technique to pre stress the tripod which reduces the leg displacement vibration by increasing the mechanical resonant frequency of the legs.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.