Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Tampa

Re: Hello from Tampa

Hello from Lance, gainesville Fl. Funny but a few years ago I sold most of my digital stuff for a 4x5x Tachihara and lenses. Another local guy uses the Tachy also.

I have season tickets to Florida football and I'm in Gainesville all the time. There are a few spots I'm trying to photograph there, just haven't been back with my camera. This year for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGator View Post
    Thanks for the warm intro. Gator grad c/o 2005!

I live in the Westchase area of Tampa and work in St. Pete. I've been shooting all over Tampa but I've been struggling to find some new locations. I recently purchased a kayak to get to some new locations so if anyone else enjoys photography and yakin let me know.

I enjoy the time and process of shooting LF, and feel that I get more satisfaction (and IQ!) than I do digital, although I still shoot with a D700 & 24-70.
    Tampa area isn't the greatest for landscape photography if that's what you're interested in. I lean towards landscape and architecture but almost anything that excites me gets photographed. With that somewhat eclectic take in mind, here are some things I liked in the area:

The rapids at Hillsborough State Park (easily found, just ask at the entrance booth)
    Heritage Village or Heritage Park, forget the exact name- Heritage something - in Pinellas
    Woodlawn Cemetery in downtown Tampa (old 19th century cemetery)
    University of Tampa administration building - on weekends it's pretty much deserted and you can wander around freely inside, lots of interesting stuff since this used to be a grand hotel years ago
    Views of downtown Tampa across the Hillsborough River from the park on the east side of the building, can't remember the name of the park - Plant Park maybe - but just walk east towards the river from the administration building and you'll be in it
    Downtown Tampa in general - there's some interesting old buildings, churches, theaters, etc. that I liked, also some of the newer buildings, you just have to get out and walk around
    The Platt Street and Davis Island bridges (on and under them)
    Ybor City
    Fort Desoto in Pinellas, especially the far end after making a right turn at the entrance building
    Myakka State Park (best in rainy season I thought)
    The aquarium in Tampa
    Honeymoon Island

You may already know of these or maybe they aren't the kinds of thing that interest you but when I used to get desperate for something to photograph I'd usually go to one of these places and could often find something new or something that looked different in different light. But I also have to say that I spent many hours just driving around the Tampa Bay area looking for things and often came home empty handed.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Been there and done them all... there is a park not many people know about John Chesnut park in Pinellas county. I have photographed most of my bird and alligators there. The birds are habituated to human activity so much they have turned into beggars and are very easy to photograph. Its a small park but big in wildlife. Go to Myakka for the gators and vultures. See my website for a sample. i have even photographed a redish egret .. very rare and at Chesnut.

http://www.mikepic.com

I've been here since 1996 and went to high school right by John Chestnut Park. I've been photographing Honeymoon, Caladesi, Myakka and Hillsborough River State Parks for quite some time. I've been exploring Weeton Island lately too. I think there are quite a few places in Tampa and the surrounding area as long as the research is done and the timing is right. I also make annual pilgrimages to Zion Bryce and Yosemite and the sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGator View Post
    I've been here since 1996 and went to high school right by John Chestnut Park. I've been photographing Honeymoon, Caladesi, Myakka and Hillsborough River State Parks for quite some time. I've been exploring Weeton Island lately too. I think there are quite a few places in Tampa and the surrounding area as long as the research is done and the timing is right. I also make annual pilgrimages to Zion Bryce and Yosemite and the sierras.
    Sorry for pointing out obvious places, for some reason, probably because of your relatively recent UF graduation year, I had the impression you were new to the area.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Sorry for pointing out obvious places, for some reason, probably because of your relatively recent UF graduation year, I had the impression you were new to the area.
    No problem! I appreciate the advice!

Sorry, late to the thread. Welcome. I moved to Bradenton in Oct. I shoot 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10. I too am looking for the good spots. Large format is so much fun. I'm with the gang that has found X-ray film to be a great film. Maybe we will run into each other on the trail somewhere. Have fun.