Thread: Ebony RW810 or SV810

Ebony RW810 or SV810

hi, anybody using these cameras who could give some input on them? also, the issue of weight and using longer lenses with the RW. thanks
    robert

Re: Ebony RW810 or SV810

Hi Robert,

I use an RW810 and love it. I do almost exclusively landscape and find it a perfect compromise for that task. The lenses I use range from the SS XL 150 to the APO-Tele-Xenar 800mm. The 800 focuses at infinity with full extension plus a little back tilt, but it works -- in calm wind.

The camera fits perfectly in the f.64 large backpack, and leaves room for a Nikkor-M 300mm and 450mm lenses in Sinar boards in the top compartment (along with the other gear - meter, filters, etc), and the SS XL 150 in one of the side pockets. This is quite a load for the f.64, but it works.

It performs OK in a light wind -- probably better than most because of the limited movements (compared to the other Ebony models). I haven't found any folding 8x10, including the RW810, that I would consider useable in a moderate wind (>2-5 kts).

When working right out of the car I use a Gitzo 1500, and if I am carrying it I use a Gitzo 35xx(something) CF, both with RRS BH-55 heads. Both legs and heads support the camera very well.

I just returned from a ten-day trip through Bodie, 395, Death Valley, Yosemite and Kings Canyon. The RW810 was the only camera I took. It worked out very well. I did seriously luck out in many places with light or no winds.

With all this said, I do not use the RW810 in the studio. I have a metal monorail for that which gives me the movements needed there. But I feel that the RW810 has all the movements I need for landscape, and none that I don't need -- a perfect compromise (for my needs).

If you are looking for a landscape 8x10, I think you'll like the RW810.

-Pat

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Re: Ebony RW810 or SV810

I shoot with the SV810. Mine is made of Mahogany.
    It is the nicest 8x10 I've ever used but that isn't your question.

I find that I rarely use the bellows much more than I would if I was using a RW. And the couple times I did use the longer bellows I could have done something else to make the RW work. So if I had it to do over I would just get the RW810 and save the weight and cash.
    I only use it for landscapes, portraits and a bit of still life. I don't shoot any studio commercial work with it. If I did studio/commerical work I might want the expanded range of the SV810.... but don't feel it's needed in the field.
    I use the Fujinon 300mm and 450mm but have ordered the 600mm C. There is no wrong choice between the two because they both are great.
    -Rob