Just joined the forum as I'm interested in getting started in LF photography. I don't have a camera yet (and probably won't for some time), but I'm researching here and there and keeping my eyes peeled for deals. Still don't know what exactly I'm looking for, so that's kind of hard to do, I guess.

I learned the basics of photography on my dad's Olympus OM-1 when I was a kid, and borrowed that every now and then. I took a photography class in college about ten years ago using a Pentax K1000 I "borrowed" from my aunt, which I still have. I mostly shoot digital on my 40D, which I'm surprised I even have since I resisted the switch so much.

I do like the convenience of digital, especially when it comes to, say, shooting hockey from time to time, or anything where I might want to make a lot of exposures. It has certainly hampered my creativity, though, and I don't always think about my shots as much anymore. Full control over my shot, as well as a slowed-down process and a relatively huge negative are appealing to me.

I enjoy hiking and backpacking, so I'd definitely want something that has a decent movement capability as well as reasonably low weight and bulk, to permit taking it along on day hikes and short backpacking trips. I'm sure this limits my options severely ...

I'm also currently a mechanical engineering student, so time and money are certainly big factors here. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? On the other hand, I have a perfectly good excuse to design and build my own. It'll be an invaluable learning experience, and probably a bit cheaper, plus I could get exactly what I want.

Anyway, I suppose that's enough rambling for now ...