Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting the darkroom

Lighting the darkroom

Probably should have thought this through, but while strolling through Home Depot today I saw a 4 foot light kit that would be perfect for my darkroom. I got a few daylight bulbs and before long, I could see every nook and cranny in my small darkroom. Problem is, after I switch off the light, the bulbs glow, albeit dimly, for what seems like forever. So any suggegstions as to what bulbs may work, or do I take it down and get back to the drawing board?

Cheers

Re: Lighting the darkroom

Get a Thomas Duplex safelight. Bright as day and completely safe for paper including VC.

Fluorescent bulbs have a long after-glow. Nothing you can do to change that. Definitely the wrong choice for a darkroom.

If you want worklights use tungsten.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Leigh, I should have mentioned that I have a Thomas safelight, but I wanted a light to use to evaluate prints and replace the small Ott light I have been using, as well as lighting the room when I am not actually printing. But yes I agree, wrong choice for a darkroom.

What colour are the walls painted in your darkroom?
    Go with white, or as light as possible, and use the Thomas safelight.
    I've only used regular tungsten bulbs when I need to see everything.

Yep, white, like mine:

Note the two tungsten lamps near the ceiling at the far end, pointing up. There's an identical fixture next to the door on the left.

Also note the accent light above the wash tray. It's a clamp lamp with a switch on the power cord. Works great for viewing prints.

The Thomas is hanging from the ceiling at top right. You can just see the vane chain and pull ring.

This shot was available light with just the four 60-watt tungsten lamps for illumination.

- Leigh

I love the amber LED lights - super bright and yet completely safe since they emit almost entirely on a single save wavelength.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    ...completely safe since they emit almost entirely on a single sa[f]e wavelength.
    That's an excellent rationale, when it's valid.

Yellow LEDs were historically constructed by putting one red and one green LED in a common package.
    When both LEDs are on, the resulting emission appears yellow to the human eye, but it's really not.

I just checked the datasheets for a couple of modern high-intensity amber LEDs, and they are indeed monochromatic.

So the datasheet for the product of interests should be checked to confirm monochromaticity.

- Leigh

Wink Re: Lighting the darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    That's an excellent rationale, when it's valid.

Yellow LEDs were historically constructed by putting one red and one green LED in a common package.
    When both LEDs are on, the resulting emission appears yellow to the human eye, but it's really not.

I just checked the datasheets for a couple of modern high-intensity amber LEDs, and they are indeed monochromatic.

So the datasheet for the product of interests should be checked to confirm monochromaticity.

- Leigh
    Which goes along with the oldest reminder of darkroom work ever: always check your safelights!

I think the OP is talking about general lighting, not safelights. Yes, some fluorescent lights have an afterglow. Tungsten or white LEDs are better. Why not go all out and put in a chandelier ...

I am curious about this too. I just replaced mine with Reveal tubes and they definitely glow after they are off. I decided to just get a small clamp reflector for a light bulb instead of wasting time searching for a solution to the glowing fluorescent bulb problem. If anyone knows of any tubes that don't glow......