Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would it be possible to modify an Epson scanner to get higher-res?

Would it be possible to modify an Epson scanner to get higher-res?

Hi guys,

why is it that the popular Epson V700 series scanners fail to deliver their claimed resolution of 6000+ dpi?

Why is it that flatbed scanners from the 1990s still deliver superior results?

Is it due to cheap optics?

Is the scanning array a cheap component?

If so, wouldn't it be possible to modify, i.e. "pimp", a stock scanner with higher-end components?

For example, if there would be a crowdfunded pimp my Epson 700 kit for say 1000-2000 USD that would lead to true optical 5000 dpi resolution over the entire flatbed ... wouldnt that be exciting?

Rodenstock or Schneider-Kreuznach would surely develop high res optics to spec if there was a substantial enough minimal order? Maybe 100k or 200k USD?

Kind regards

Paul

Genesis

Re: Would it be possible to modify an Epson scanner to get higher-res?

Hi Paul,

Why not invest in an EverSmart series scanner? They do possess the Rodenstock lens and they are still superior to any of the new flatbeds on the market. It would probably be less expensive than trying to upgrade the Epson V700 (if it is at all possible).

Michael

Just a hunch but, I'd bet that the optic is not the limiting factor. More likely it is the electro-mechanical positioning mechanism.

The Epson V750 claims 4800 dpi optical, and that only on 4x5 and smaller formats when using the high-resolution lens.
    The V750 has two lenses, the V700 only has one lens.

The lateral resolution of a scanner is set by the pitch of the sensor array, which can only be changed by replacing the array with one of finer pitch.

However, on the longitudinal axis the resolution is determined by a complex mechanical assembly, each component of which has manufacturing tolerances.

Achieving a resolution of 4800 dpi on that axis requires moving the carriage in increments of about 0.0002" per step.
    Positional accuracy would need to be 1/4th of that or less, which is 0.00005" or 50 millionths of an inch.
    Maintaining that accuracy over a span of 12" to 14" requires some very accurate mechanical components and electronic systems.

Given that 4800 dpi is 189 dots per mm(~100lp/mm) , what would be the advantage of increasing the resolving power beyond that?
    Achieving 100lp/mm on film requires a very good photographic system (camera + film holder + film + lens + processing).

I don't know of any combination that would yield 200lp/mm to be scanned in the first place.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Your Epson is a $500 scanner, does as well or better than other $500 scanners. Max ppi is about 2000, possibly 3200 on small film. A 4x5 scanned at 2000 ppi will give a 26x33 (approx) print at 300ppi, that is a good sized print, if you want to go larger and stay at 300ppi, not sure an Eversmart can do that, it is more drum scanner territory. Though I'm sure the Eversmart scan would be better.

Yes the 1990s high end flatbeds, like the Eversmart, are better than the Epson but they were $15-20K machines. I photography, when quality becomes the goal you often run into this mass produced vs industrial quality question.

Could you build a better Epson? I'd get a repair manual and go from there.

Tom

According to this article - written by Nate Potter, one of our esteemed forum members - there is some resolution at the high end of the scale, but at that level, there is very low contrast. After around 2000 spi, it's really nothing to boast about.

So while the company can claim a high number, it's a bit misleading, since the resolution at the high end is... unusable

For our purposes as LF photographers, the scanner nicely delivers 1600 spi. In round numbers, this allows for an enlargement of 5X: just enough to make a critically sharp 11x14 from a 6x7 negative, or a 20x24 from 4x5 - with no cropping of course.

Why would you spend thousands to repurpose a flatbed scanner when you can buy scanners that are purposed for what you want?

Have you looked into the betterscanning holders? http://www.betterscanning.com/

For our purposes as LF photographers, the scanner nicely delivers 1600 spi. In round numbers, this allows for an enlargement of 5X: just enough to make a critically sharp 11x14 from a 6x7 negative, or a 20x24 from 4x5 - with no cropping of course.
    Ken, I've owned two and tried everything conceivable to squeeze resolution out of them for years, and I think those numbers are very optimistic. There is no way I would make a 16x20 print for exhibition from a 4x5 without a drum scan.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Monego View Post
    Your Epson is a $500 scanner, does as well or better than other $500 scanners. Max ppi is about 2000, possibly 3200 on small film. A 4x5 scanned at 2000 ppi will give a 26x33 (approx) print at 300ppi, that is a good sized print, if you want to go larger and stay at 300ppi, not sure an Eversmart can do that, it is more drum scanner territory. Though I'm sure the Eversmart scan would be better.

Yes the 1990s high end flatbeds, like the Eversmart, are better than the Epson but they were $15-20K machines. I photography, when quality becomes the goal you often run into this mass produced vs industrial quality question.

Could you build a better Epson? I'd get a repair manual and go from there.

Tom
    The EverSmart series of scanners can absolutely achieve higher resolutions than 2000 ppi. The EverSmart Pro II has a max optical resolution of 3175 over a 12"x17" scan area. The EverSmart Supreme has a true optical resolution of 5600 dpi and will go head to head against a drum scanner.

You are correct about their original price tag. These scanners ranged from $28K to $48K new. However, they are available on the secondary market for less than $5K and $10K respectively.

Michael

Ok to clear some things up: i own an iqsmart 2 and dont own a v700. But recently i visited a photo store nearby where they had an epson on exhibited attached to a pc. The v700 is much smaller and also scans much faster than the iqsmart. Also it does not require two persons to carry around and is compatible with the newest oses. Ideally i would like to have an epson sized scanner that can do what an iqsmart can do. So thats why im asking.

I understand that theres no more r and d money spent on rifining the epson but i believe that with todays technology it should be possible to create an epson v700 sized scanner that has usb3 scans an8x10 at 5000 dpi in 10 mims and weighs about 10 kg ... Im dreaming here but i feel that there still would be a market for a modern high end scanner that incorporates cost and technology advancements that have been made in the last 10 years ....

I just thought that if its just the optics it should be possible to order custom lenses by crowdfunding them via kickstarter or a similar site. Or if its the microstepping mechanism it wouls surely be possible to swap out compinents with better parts. There still are many people shooting 4x5 and medium format and im pretty sure that a scanner that has higher resolution and is as compact and easy to use as an epson would be a great hit.

I mean comon were writing the year 2012, it shouldnt be too hard to develop such a dream scanner? Schneider kreuznach recently did a custom version of the fine art 770 xxl lens and i believe the minimum order was 20 pieces, so i believe that must have cost 50-60k to convince them do a custom lens .... So it shouldnt be a problem finding enough people who own an epson 700 and want some laser sharp optics?