Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new film

Drew Wiley

Re: Possible new film

Vlad - it's the big manufacturers who can buy supplies in volume and who are necessary to keep the whole supply train alive. Small coaters are probably just buying
    the leftovers of things like film base polyester or acetate, and would have to buy it
    at much higher price otherwise, if they could keep it going at all. There are economies
    of scale. You can't coat a quality emulsion onto just anything. Not all of us are interested in tintypes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... and the sharks are there too, just looking for the opportunity to make money -- one way or the other.

I'm not sure, though, that the notion of a specialty film producer is totally out of the question... if one has the right combination of engineering and financial skills to combine with keen approach to the marketing of specialty niche products. As one who has only none of those skills I can't see how it is possible, but I'd sure be supportive of someone who did and could!
    Oh, I completely agreee. It is what I was trying to say in fact. I believe that some entity will continue to operate some portion of the kodak film business. What that entity looks like...I obviously do not know. I can only be certain it will include lots of money and people who know what the technical difficulties are in running a coater.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

So how does the folks who "re-invented" AZO do it? Isn't reviving a paper a good analogy for reviving a film?

Quote Originally Posted by dexmeister View Post
    I would defiantly start with black & white, but the difficultly is not a concern at the moment. I am more concerned about marketability
    What is defiant about starting with b&w film? That's where most film companies started.

and FYI: the only way to make this thing marketable is to:

a - make it the best film ever.
    b - make it the cheapest film ever.
    c - both a & b together.

Drew Wiley

M. Smith offers a silver chloride substitute to Azo because he badly wanted it for his
    own use, was willing to goes thru lots of of greuling prototyping and testing, was willing to risk serious amounts of money for little or no net profit, and ultimately has the product coated by someone else with facilities already. You can go to his site and probably read about the whole history of this product. As far as relative risk in concerned, this is a niche products with virtually no real competition at the moment.
    Once one gets into basic black-and-white film, there are all kinds of options already
    on the market which are well distributed. A whole different game.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Thanks for refreshing my memory... I couldn't remember his name. Who's money is he using? I doubt the pre-orders was/is enough.

Drew Wiley

The pre-order phase comes in only once you've got a viable prototype run, but have
    managed enough folks to make the relatively small risk of pre-purchase and wait. In
    terms of actually lauching a product, it first involves re-mortaging your house and
    selling a quart of your own blood once a day for the next ten years. If you're independently wealthy that's a different story. But for most of us it would represent
    serious risk. Not for the faint-hearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You can't coat a quality emulsion onto just anything. Not all of us are interested in tintypes.
    Indeed, but there would be no need to coat it onto just anything. Good acetate and polyester bases can still be found, and if I had to choose between having TMY on the same base as, say, Foma, and not having TMY at all, guess what I'd choose?
    I doubt there's something magic about the base of Kodak films. What makes them so special is the emulsion. I'm sure Kodak's emulsions coated on a regular (whatever that means) acetate or polyester base would make the same extraordinary films. TXP would be an exception, its retouching base being probably the last of its kind still in existence. However, considering that most people who use TXP seem to love it for its characteristic curve, and not necessarily for its retouching properties, I'd venture to say that it would probably sell as well even if it were coated on a normal base.

Self-scanning, and reuseable. That'd be cool for a film that's also optically printable.

You can't worry yet about making the product "good" if you're going to set up your own production line. First you need to focus on making something that works, period. Getting gelatin laid down on plastic and dried, in a predictable way. After that you have the luxury of messing around with the emulsion.

All of these feature requests (straight response curve, high silver content, etc) absolutely can not happen until the production line has already been ironed out.

As for commissioning a custom emulsion from an existing producer, all I can say is "good luck."