Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first LF

Buying my first LF

Hi everybody, and happy new year!

i want to buy a camera, right now i am using a Sinar we have at school, and i like that one (only one i have used) but i think its a bit of a hassle to pack up and down.

So i am thinking of a field camera instead (pros cons?)

This is the cameras i´ve found for sale, these are all in Norway, so easy for me to look at before buying.

Linhof Technika V - price $1300
    Crown Graphic 4x5 - price not said
    Graflex Super Graphic - $330
    Sinar Norma 4x5 - price not said
    Sinar F - Price not said.

I need some help to find out whats the right prices for these so i dont overprice etc. and also which camera gives the best pictures.

I do mostly fashion-aesthetic photography, nudes but i also cover exhibitions for galleries where i use a wideangle lens.

Thanks for any help

Best Regards

Martin Johansen

Re: Buying my first LF

The choice is down to personal preferance but of those I'd get a Super Graphic. I do in fact use one and it's quite versatile.

Ian

The Graphics and the Linhof would be the quickest to get into action, and are hand holdable to offer even more flexibility. The Sinars would be my choice if I were going to spend a lot of time in the studio. For my own style of shooting (landscapes & old rusty stuff) I'd choose the Linhof or the Super Graphic.
    John Sexton and Roman Loranc shoot Linhof Technikas---they are nice if you have the money, but the Super Graphic is an excellent camera as well plus quite a bit lighter in wieght if you foresee any serious hiking involved.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The choice is down to personal preferance but of those I'd get a Super Graphic. I do in fact use one and it's quite versatile.

Ian
    ditto.

OK for what you get for the Price the Graflex Super Graphic // or
    Graflex Super speed Graphic its the same camera just the lens is Different
    I have Crowns, speed, Super Graphics, Linhof Technika III 6x9 and
    Horseman VH 6x9
    what I like BEST is the Horseman BUT for Price its the Super Graphic !!

The Sinars are now super cheap. Just check EBay for prices.

Absolutely everything is easier to do with a Sinar than a field camera... except getting the camera to where you want to take the picture. (Or hand holding if you would actually do that.)

A Sinar can be packed into a photo backpack fully assembled (12" rail along the bottom of the pack). http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=55101&page=2

But since you have a Sinar you can use, trying out a Graphic might be fun. Ultimately all the cameras are so cheap now that you aren't going to lose much if you try one and decide to sell it later. We seem to have a steady stream of new people coming back to film and LF.

Shucks, I'll sell you a Calumet cc-400 in a hard case for $125 plus shipping if you want an inexpensive first 4x5. These are great starter cameras, and I even know pros who've used them their entire career.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

The Super Graphic is a somwhat less versatile than the other cameras mentioned for its not having any wide angle focusing on the inner rail, otherwise a good choice.

Buy the Crown and the Sinar Norma and have two very different types of cameras, or get the Tech V and have one very versatile camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Shucks, I'll sell you a Calumet cc-400 in a hard case for $125 plus shipping if you want an inexpensive first 4x5. These are great starter cameras, and I even know pros who've used them their entire career.
    Good deal! Nothing much can break on a Cakumet 400
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White