Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I made the change to VueScan...

Re: I made the change to VueScan...

There is, or used to be, a book for Silverfast called "Silverfast: The Official Guide" by Taz Tally. It was very useful in figuring out all the many options in Silverfast and in establishing a work flow, much more useful to me than the manual. I don't know if it's been updated or is still in print but even an old copy would probably be helpful if one can be found.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I checked on that. It's $9.99. If it helps, I'll spend the $10. The reviews indicate that it's mostly a "getting started" level book. Has anyone else benefited from this book?
    I have the paper version, and think $9.99 would be a bargain and well-worth it (since I paid about $25).

"The only real problem that I seem to be having is contrast on BW scans."

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software).

It's all about contrast on BW scans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I checked on that. It's $9.99. If it helps, I'll spend the $10. The reviews indicate that it's mostly a "getting started" level book. Has anyone else benefited from this book?
    Amazon gave me a $9.99 credit bringing the total to $0.00. So it maybe free for everyone from Amazon.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    "The only real problem that I seem to be having is contrast on BW scans."

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software).

It's all about contrast on BW scans.
    +1 on Ken's tip regarding setting the curve as close to zero as possible instead of the default.. I had not seen it anywhere. I do not think that it is in the book referenced.
    I do not use his workflow of color channel output but select the green channel directly in Vuescan.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Yes, you can do that in VueScan. Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the article.

When using a staining developer, you can also scan according to the color of the stain if you like. This gives a different contrast curve, and given a scanner of sufficient resolution, could enhance the grain-minimizing effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Yes, you can do that in VueScan. Thanks for pointing that out. I will update the article.

When using a staining developer, you can also scan according to the color of the stain if you like. This gives a different contrast curve, and given a scanner of sufficient resolution, could enhance the grain-minimizing effect.
    Yes I think that with Pyrocat/PMK you can use the blue channel (brown/yellow stain?), specially for 120 on a Nikon scanner.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

FWIW I recently retried Vuescan. I gave up on it 5-6 years ago in favour of Silverfast and BOY has it grown up as software! I was amazed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

renes

Anybody save scans only in RAW using VueScan? It seems best way - you get scans with no soft modification. I wonder if you see any troubles with RAW files opened in PhotoShop? I get RAW files dark, they are darker than images on my negatives. VueScan guide explains it's normal but I got scan much darker than negative image what put the question what tool in PhotoShop should be used first to bring the scan to level of the original image?

Another issue I struggle with is choice a proper film from Film list... I scan now Adox CHS 25, it's not listed there, so I experiment with some listed films but I am never fully satisfied with the results... and it's not possible to exclude them all, you have to choice one but this affect the image in own way.

So, I wonder if there is any settings in VueScan that makes you are able to see the image of your negative in scanning panel, as it is - with no soft modification?

Quote Originally Posted by renes View Post
    I wonder if there is any settings in VueScan that makes you are able to see the image of your negative in scanning panel, as it is - with no soft modification?
    Yes.

You might find this brief article helpful: Scanning Tips (with EPSON and VueScan Software). See the section entitled "Correct the VueScan Settings Before Scanning"