Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you work with transparencies in the darkroom?

How do you work with transparencies in the darkroom?

Since internegatives are obsolete whats the way ?

Re: How do you work with transparencies in the darkroom?

scan them

That's why people went to color neg. Chromes are pretty worthless other than being pretty to look at.

You can still make internegatives, or at least I've heard of people getting good results with making them on Portra 160.

Fuji Pro 160NC, Pro 160S or Kodak Portra 160NC, all good choices since the tungsten balanced interneg films are gone. One caveat is that the relatively high ISO and the daylight balance means you'll pretty much need to have a duping setup with a camera and electronic flash instead of simply contacting them.

You can't use color correction filters in your enlarger (used as a light source) to contact print them? Or to projection print onto larger film for enlarged internegs?

Making internegs is something I'm interesting in being able to do some time in the coming year. I have too many chromes not to be able to print them and Ilfochrome is going away.

Drew Wiley

Good internegs require unsharp masking skills. And even then, it's going to be tricky to get ideal results from something edgy like Velvia. You don't need old-school
    interneg film; Portra sheet film works reasonably well, that is, if it's around awhile itself. Just a matter of color balancing and correct contrast masking. This takes some experimenting and patience, but is not all that difficult conceptually. Can be
    done either by projection or contact, but like all analgous procedures, require
    meticulous dust control, a decent colorhead, and precise film plane alignment. The
    look is somewhat different than printing directly from color negs, but different from
    Cibachrome too. I can't say I've really perfected the parameters using these new
    films, simply because I've been concentrating on other color printing issues. But I
    briefly fooled around with it enough to know it's perfectly feasible.

Here is a novel approach. At one point I built a duping rig out of a 4X5 enlarger ... essentially I made it become a camera...To daylight...4X5... I used a Bowens Illumitran with a contrast control unit. A 4X5 Bessler duper will work too. Instead of a a 35 mm camera use an enlarger to dupe with.
    Mine was an Omega D 3. I first chopped up a 4X5 film holder. Cut out the centre. Film could still be inserted into it. I used a processed piece of ortho with deep lines scratched into the film. I placed the modified film holder into a rig instead of a negative in the light path so that I could focus the enlarger onto a piece of paper placed on the illumitran.
    Once the rig is focussed a normal film holder is placed into the enlarger-now camera. Contrast control works...with flashing...multi popping the unit will give lots of exposure control too. Now edgy films are not too edgy. Masking is not needed.

Can places do this for you? Is it usually really expensive for say about 10-20 slides?

Scan them and make digital prints... what is the destination .. prints?

Quote Originally Posted by tearcut1 View Post
    Can places do this for you? Is it usually really expensive for say about 10-20 slides?
    Sure it expensive but giving you a price is silly since it may vary. Call your lab or google labs in your area and check their online pricelist. Get ONE done, make a print, see i you like it. You may just like a lightjet on fuji crystal archive from your scanned film better.