Hello and thanks in advance. I'm new to LF (have not used one yet) and have been gathering all the info I can to make a "best-as-I-can" informed purchase of what I think I'll use and need. However, a 4 x 5 outfit has "dropped" in my hands for no cost, which I think will be useful to play with, learn something before I spend the bucks.

Info: The camera is a Newton New-Vue model VC2 rail camera, somewhat small, lightweight, excellent condition, red bellows, several film holders (plastic and wood), extra rail extenders, Rotating back, and has a Acme-Ilex 163mm Paragon Anastigmat lens that appears clean. Shutter seems ok at most speeds, but i couldn't thread my cable release I use with med. format in it (?).

My question(s):

(1) I haven't found any info on these cameras other than they are somewhat similar in looks (excepting the dual rail) to the Graphic View. Does anyone have info?

(2) I've seen a few Q&A's regarding the Ilex shutters, but nothing on the paragon lens. Again, any info? Worth fixing (if needed) with Mr. Grimes?

(3) Now for the perhaps stupid question...the viewing glass (plastic?) as seen from back measures close to 3 3/4" x 4 3/4". What is the actual exposed area on a 4 x 5 sheet? I ask because someone had a (guts only) New-Vue on Ebay and listed it as a 3 1/4 by 4 1/4 camera.

(4) Last question, is this even worth messing with to learn on? Camera has front rise/fall, tilt, shift and swings. Back has some swing and rise. Front standard just pushes out (locks) and focus knob is for rear standard.

I appreciate any help and even though I'm not having to purchase it, I essentially inquire as mentioned, about it's usefullness in learning.