Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Cameras as Old Tools--an Appreciation

Old Cameras as Old Tools--an Appreciation

My dads Speed Graphic from the 30's oozes history and the vibes from that time. When I want to be reminded of him I take it out and just handle it.I took my first 4x5 pics with it. My Korona 12x20 oozes history also and while I really like to use it I prefer to use my Wisner 12x20 as it is just easier to manipulate with movements etc and it can take more abuse.But I feel like a part of a long history with the Korona and kind of like having a clean slate to use with the Wisner. Both are great tools!

I have had three new cameras during my entire life (I'm 46). The first was an Exacta TL-1000, the second a Yashica-mat 123, and the third a 4x5 Wisner tech.

Silly me......I bought my Koni-Omegaflex new, too (but not most of the lenses). So four.

I have owned and used dozens of cameras, and while I have loved a couple of graphics, and sincerly love my current LF lenses (all used, one a little older than I am, I have never regreted buying the tech). It whispers to me.

And I think that is the point. Find the camera that whispers to you.

-j

Jim Galli; Seek and ye shall find. Some years ago I bought a Crown Graflex at Police auction. When I got it home I spent hours, 1 bottle of cleaner, 2 rolls of paper towels to get it clean. What I found was a mint camera with a Schneider 135 lens. 12 film holders, flash and the gray case. Then I popped off the back door of the battery box on the R.F. Expecting to find the batterys chemically welded in place. What I found was the Mahogany spacer block. Now that is mint.

I have been trying my best to scar up the camera since. Oh yeah, $15. bucks. Only once in each persons life.

I'm 43 - born in 1959 - and all of my main cameras are my age or older. I have make exceptions for digital and P&S - but my Linhof, Leica, and Rolleis make no excuses to newer gear. Not only is the older gear better made, but it feels better in my hands. And people respond to it in a more friendly, less intimidated way. If you're using a high tech $20,000 H1 with a ProBack they act differently than if you have a batter 4x5 or a Rollei TLR.