Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grafmatic - Eddie Gunks video

Grafmatic - Eddie Gunks video

Eddie Gunks recently uploaded a video on Grafmatic holders to YouTube. As far as I can tell, it is the only video on the internet that demonstrates how these holders work. I expect to receive a Grafmatic holder in the next few days and found the video quite helpful. I thought that I'd flag it here, both because it is useful and to ensure that a search on this site for info on Grafmatics will pick up that there is a good video on their operation.

The long version of the video is at http://www.youtube.com/user/eddiegun...19/xIY5X6-l0tw

There is also a short version: http://www.youtube.com/user/eddiegun...15/0TSATdotG1Q
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Grafmatic - Eddie Gunks video

Thanks for the video. I would never have known how cool those things are. Now I want one

Hilarious, although informative, video - whats with the guns and bunnies?
    ... I'm amazed, hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
    Thanks for the video. I would never have known how cool those things are. Now I want one
    That's part of his evil plan.........

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

THAT'S THE GRAFMATIC I JUST BOUGHT FROM HIM!!!
    I just finished waxing that thing.

The manual is available on Graflex.org. You can also glue little tabs into the corners for better identification, see attachment.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    The manual is available on Graflex.org.
    I was also able to find the service manual, in PDF form, on the Internet, which includes exploded views, info on lubrication, etc. It isn't on Graflex.org, and I don't know the URL at this point, but it didn't take much effort to find it.

In his video, Eddie Gunks shows that on a Chamonix one can remove the ground glass and fasten a Grafmatic directly to the back. I just received my Grafmatic this afternoon, but so far I don't see a way to do that on an Arca-Swiss. Am I missing something, or must the Grafmatic be held in place by the ground glass spring. Not that it matters, just curious.

Does the Arca have a Graflok back ? If not, then it won't do what the Chamonix does in Eddie's video. The Chamonix has a Graflok back.

The sliding black tabs allow you to remove the ground glass without removing the entire back. Not all cameras have a Graflok back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Does the Arca have a Graflok back ? If not, then it won't do what the Chamonix does in Eddie's video.
    Of course it does. That's why the Grafmatic works in the first place. Curious to know what other back you think an Arca-Swiss camera might have. Anyway, yes, it's a Graflok.

And yes, I can remove the ground glass without removing the whole back.

The question is, when the ground glass frame is removed, is it possible on an Arca-Swiss to attach a Grafmatic, or does the Grafmatic need the pressure of the ground glass frame? If a Grafmatic can be attached to the back of an Arca-Swiss, without the pressure of the ground glass frame, how is it done?

The old Arca-Swiss had a spring back and the Graflock/International back was an upgrade.

I think a Grafmatic should be thin enough to slip into most spring backs though, so it's a moot point. The Graflock/International back is more important for using roll film backs.

Frank, don't complicate this, if only because people down the road might come across this discussion and get confused, as I did when I read the nonsense on this forum suggesting that an Arca-Swiss binocular reflex viewer might work only horizontally. I wasted a good two hours getting to the bottom of that so-called issue.

As you know, any Arca-Swiss camera that is F-Line or later has a Graflok back.

My only question is, can a Grafmatic be attached to the back of the camera by itself or does it need the pressure of the ground glass frame? If there is a way to attach it directly, I'm curious because it is not immediately obvious that it can be done. I also don't think that it matters one way or the other. It's just a matter of curiosity.

On the basic issue, and for future reference in case anyone comes across this thread, a "Graphic Grafmatic", model 1268, works just fine on an F-Line Arca-Swiss camera in whatever configuration, from the Discovery on up.