Thread: Studio Portrait Workshops in 2012

Studio Portrait Workshops in 2012

Hi all,
    Do any of you know of any excellent workshops in studio portrait work (H&S and full body)? I don't plan on doing my own processing, so I am most interested in a workshop that focuses on lighting, camera adjustments (tilt, swing, rise, fall, etc.), and working with models.

I am comfortable with my camera and use the camera adjustments all the time when shooting architecture. For studio portrait work, I use an MT 3000 with a Cooke 229mm lens about 90% of the time. I really haven't used the camera adjustments much for the studio portrait work. My studio has no natural light, so I shoot with strobes or continuous lighting. I use strobes about 90% of the time. And with strobes, I use them at their lowest settings with ND filters over the lights about 90% of the time, so I can use the Cooke wide open (f/4.5) for the most dramatic soft focus.

I have taken three excellent workshops in lighting and working with models already, and they were very informative. However, these workshops were geared toward the digital photographer. Now, I am looking for a LF version of this. I have already signed up for one week-long workshop, The Portrait and the View Camera, at ICP in New York in January, but I'm looking to take more.

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

funkadelic

Re: Studio Portrait Workshops in 2012

I'm not sure it's aimed at portrait work, but definitely soft focus and large format:
    http://www.tillmancrane.com/workshop_10.php
    With your residence being in NC, the VA location is even close enough to drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds great. Learning how to better use my soft focus lens would be so helpful.

David

funkadelic

Now that I think of it, Howard Austin Feld is always doing workshops with models... a lot of artistic nudes and fashion work. His work is definitely geared toward the digital SLR world, but I'm sure still applicable toward portrait work.
    If nothing else, it's a good excuse to go spend a few days in Miami Beach in these colder months.