Thread: Recommendations for 8x10 drum scans

Recommendations for 8x10 drum scans

Who do you guys recommend to drum scan 8x10 negatives?

Thanks!

Re: Recommendations for 8x10 drum scans

We do it. We have several Dai-Nippon Screen drum scanners--up to 12,000 dpi--and we have an assistant who drum scans our own 8x10 and 8x20 negatives--black and white and color.

Paula Chamlee, my wife, and a fine photographer in her own right, and I are starting a new business, Lodima Digital, run by our assistant, who does the actual work, but with our oversight. Those who know us know that we are perfectionists. We demand perfection from our assistant, and he gives it to us.

No, we have not deserted silver printing. We still, and always will, make our own silver chloride contact prints in a darkroom. Some of you know, but perhaps not those who read the Digital threads, that we had a new silver chloride contact printing paper made. It took five years of R&D to make it happen. It is the ideal paper for those who make enlarged digital negatives (we can make those, too), and then make silver contact prints.

We will be going by the name "Lodima Digital" to go along with our book publishing company, Lodima Press, Lodima silver chloride paper, and Lodima Archival Materials. And we also have Lodima films, for Paula's three-screen-projection videos.

And our prices are very reasonable. We can keep them that way as we do not charge rent or other overhead to Lodima Digital. Even with all of these things going on, we are, and always will be, photographers first. Big prints are demanded of us these days, which is why we got into the digital end of things.

Michael A. Smith

If I didn't have my own scanner I'd go with Lenny Eiger, without a shadow of a doubt. Besides being a master scanner and printer, he is a valuable forum member here and on other photo/scanning sites and is quick to share information and advice.

http://www.eigerphoto.com

Lenny x2

I highly recommend James Beck Digital.

Tim Sandstrom

I'll 'third' the vote for Lenny; nice guy and he really knows his stuff, the prints he makes are absolutely gorgeous.