Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bruce Barnbaum's new book - Plateaus and Canyons

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Bruce Barnbaum's new book - Plateaus and Canyons

In my opinion the true "master" photographer is one that is fluent in several different photographic syntax’s with the silver gelatin (or color) process being but one syntax. The photographers mentioned in this thread, although masters of one or maybe two of the syntax's, were not masters of the medium.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    Kirk
    I worked with Jim in the 80's and 90's. We taught several LF work shops in the Santa Fe and Abiquiu area. He invested heavily (went into debt) in Dye Transfer materials when Kodak announced they were discontinuing those materials, sound familiar?
    He left Tesuque around 2000 moving to Alpine, TX. He is still involved with photography but, I don't believe it is at the same scale as in NM. I heard that he got rid of all his LF equipment. I think he is more involved with video and small format photography.
    I have not been in contact with him for several years, unfortunately. I really enjoyed working with him, he is highly skilled artist and an excellent teacher.
    Did you know him?
    He was an acquaintance-not really a friend. He was/is a fine photographer. The last project I saw of his was a DT portfolio on the historic Camino Real, but that was many many years ago. He kind of dropped off the map.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Seems as if I read/heard recently that he is involved in a project to install geologic road signs in west Texas.
    Wayne
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net

Kirk Tuck at Visual Science Lab blog describes the color vs B&W as two different approaches. Have not seen Barnbaum's color book but would be very surprised if it matched his B&W work. I suspect many of us are technically proficient in both, but we achieve art in the media/subject/genre that we love.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Drew Wiley

There are various reasons why art photographers might concentrate on one but not
    the other based on what's trending or not, what's being funded or not, what's affordable, etc. I still totally disagree with the notion one cannot truly master both.
    You're telling me that artists who could be brilliant with color can't do great work
    with pencil or an etching? Guess that leaves Guernica off the map. Why would it be
    any different with photograhers? ... Anyway, next whatever ... J.Bones sold off all
    his DT gear last yr, or at least tried to. A few of these guys are still bitter over Kodak dropping it. Most of the gear seems to get snatched right up by somebody.