Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye 8 x 10 Tri-X, Hello ?????

Goodbye 8 x 10 Tri-X, Hello ?????

I've loved Tri-X for around 50 years now but all good things have to come to an end (sob)

So, a question to all those who use other films. How would you compare the available alternatives to Tri-X? Such as the various Ilford emulsions

Re: Goodbye 8 x 10 Tri-X, Hello ?????

I'd suggest FP4 Plus. That's the nearest match I've found. Unfortunately, a lower exposure index, but nothing else looks closer to 320TXP in my experience. I've not carefully compared with lower-quality film manufacturers' products, limiting purchases to Kodak, Ilford and Fuji.

I agree with Sal on this. FP4+ is the closest alternative I've found to 320TXP. In actual practice the exposure indices are not that far apart. I rate 320TXP at ASA200 or even ASA160 and FP4+ gets full box speed.

+1. To my eye none of the Ilford emulsions looks like TXP, but in terms of curve shape, FP4 Plus is as close as you're going to get.

Thanks - I know Tri-x has more grain than more modern emulsions, but that is not necessarily bad - in some ways I think it accounts for a lot of the character of the film. Not sure in reality how much of an issue it will be - very few people will look at a print and yell "You should have used XXX"instead of that awful "YYY."

Oh well - it's time to order a couple of boxes of FP4+ and start getting used to it. I still have a total of maybe a couple of hundred sheets of Tri-x in 4 x 5, 5 x 7, and 8 x 10 so I have ample time to learn something new before i run out.

Jim, as I understand it, only 8x10 TXP has been discontinued. 4x5, at least, is still available. As a side note, I've had people telling me that Tri-X Pan Professional was being discontinued since 1989; at that time it was retailers trying to sell people T-Max 400 instead. Now, in a different world, it's at least partly true.

Kodak hasn't actually discontinued 320TXP - they only made it a special order item in 8x10. The film stock will still be available but 8x10 will only be available by special order - same as TMY-2 is today. Not really a "sky is falling" situation.

An upside I see to special orders would be buying fresh stock and not stuff that's been on a shelf for some time. Given the option, I'd still rather have taken my chances with the shelf

Have a bit of Forté but the quality was nowhere near Big Yellow's.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Now to get Harman to put into the retail market FP4 11x14 size film. I'm begging you please! Once a year is a god send however the ability to buy it sooner would be a welcome service.

Ilford. Ansel Adams used the stuff, after all and he wrote the book on Tri-X & HC 110
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White