Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your Sand Dunes!

Re: Post your Sand Dunes!

These are great Sand Dune photos, getting all fired up about going to Oceania this February. I have some from the last Tonopah workshop here. 210mm Nikor W 320TXP 5x7 film and Jake.with deep yellow filter.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

One from DV, then gypsum sand dunes ridges at dusk from White Sands, then one from Oceano Dunes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BVuillemenotWSRidges.jpg  
    Brian Vuillemenot

Oceano Dunes

Oceano Dunes

Ibex Dunes - Death Valley National Park
    Last edited by Robert Oliver; 13-Oct-2019 at 16:13. Reason: fixed broken image links
    Robert Oliver

Thumbs up Re: Post your Sand Dunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post

Oceano Dunes

Oceano Dunes

Ibex Dunes - Death Valley National Park
    WOW!!! We have a winner. Amazing shot!
    Thanks,

Gabriel

Brian, the Gypsum Canyon Ridges have a great vibrant blue really cool.Color film makes for fine color prints in the evening and morning shots.
    The ripples and lines of the Oceano pic are great also.
    Are these 4x5 film and what size lens did you use?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    Wikipedia says Eureka dunes became part of Death Valley in 1994. I'd love to get out to Death Valley again sometime soon. I did two 45min sessions out in Mesquite Dunes in early/mid July. The heat didn't seem insanely bad but I was beyond dehydrated afterwards. My face was also sand blasted raw.

I love sand dunes! For give me if I am mistaken, but I think you posted a photo ElRooster that was color and just of one larger sand dune. I remember seeing that photo in the landscape thread and I've tried to find it a few times but couldn't. Maybe it was someone else though.

I've only shot a few sand dunes on film so far. My favorite is this photo on 4x5 Velvia 50 with a 75mm Caltar. I spent the majority of 2 days on top of Star Dune and High Dune at Great Sand Dunes NP. The first days sunset was blocked by clouds. This second sunset from Star Dune just made it out from behind the clouds with less than 10 minutes to spare before sunset. For over an hour I watched the rays of sunlight work there way across the sea of dunes towards me until I was enveloped in sunshine! I was euphoric! I did use too small an aperture though but I am happy. The 2 hour trek down to the car in the dark was well worth it, hoping one of the two slides would turn out.

The hike up the large dunes was exhausting but so much fun. Mid-day was fruitless for photography, in my opinion. But around 4:30-5pm the sun had enough of an angle to create some interesting shadows and shapes within the dunes. The shadows weren't strong at all (very light) but I was thinking about trying my first employment of the zone system to create stronger shadows and contrast! I focused on finding abstract compositions with my digital camera. I really really wished I had a longer lens so that I could have shot a lot of 4x5 b&w (and so I could try the zone system). I now have a 24" Goerz Artar but I did not then. I like to practice or compose first on my digital camera and use the LCD and histogram as a guide to whether or not the composition might work. The 600mm on 4x5 would have been near perfect. My longest was only the 300mm Heliar which I did not even bother lugging up the dunes.

Ah, best day of the year. Wish I could do that every day!
    This one is just INSANE! There's so much going on in there - that wild sky in such contrast with the calmness of the dunes - the light is perfect and the feeling of depth, you just get sucked into this photo... I would love to see a big print of this one.
    PERFECT JOB!

cheers
    Tom

Robert those are great! The contrast in that first one is incredible. That is the kind of contrast I wanted to employ at GSDNP. But I didn't have a lens long enough to frame the compositions I saw.

Jeffrey I really enjoy that second one. The ripples are what I focused on when I was at Death Valley. Not as many at GSDNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    Wow!! This is a cracker absolutely awesome , The sky just makes this so dramatic and the lighting is spot on I would proudly display this on my wall as big print . Oh BTW did i say i really like this . Cheers Gary
    Thank you! That is one thing the clouds helped with. They had ruined one sunset and almost ruined another but in the end they helped make the photo! The whole area is incredible. You can see all the rain far off in various directions. I just hoped it wouldn't blow over me while I was on top of the two big dunes!

If anyone wants a print I would be happy to work with you for whatever size you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Great story, definitely worth the workout to get there!
    Regards
    Erik
    Thanks. I made it worse by picking the wrong route to Star Dune. The dunes form in lines or sequences. I picked a ridge-line that was two over! So I had to literally crawl up the side of Star Dune. My walking stick broke and I used the 2 foot section as a pick to help me up. I had to take a break every 5-6 steps and lay flat to avoid tumbling down the dune .

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    This one is just INSANE! There's so much going on in there - that wild sky in such contrast with the calmness of the dunes - the light is perfect and the feeling of depth, you just get sucked into this photo... I would love to see a big print of this one.
    PERFECT JOB!

cheers
    Tom
    Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Cold Winter day on top of the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes. Ice crystals in the sand along the ridges.

16x20 silver gelatin print from 4x5 negative (150mm lens).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ice Ridge, Eureka Valley Sand Dunes, CA_16x20.jpg  

And to show that in the middle of the day with the wind blowing, one can still get a photo on top of a sand dune...

The darker area swooshing thru the middle of the print is blowing sand.

Wind Pocket
    Eureka Valley Sand Dunes

From a 16x20 Silver Gelatin print (Selenium toned Ilford Gallerie)
    Gowland PocketView 4x5, 150mm lens, TMax 100 in HC-110
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windpocket, Eureka Valley Sand Dunes, CA_16x20.jpg  

Two images: