Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aero Ektar with spots on the glass, can it be saved?

Re: Aero Ektar with spots on the glass, can it be saved?

Why not shoot with it and try it? They aren't used for high resolution and detail as much as artistic effect, so maybe it will look fine as-is?

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    I will try the lens first against a different, clean, Aero Ektar I borrowed in order to see how much this cementing degradation (whatever it is) affects the final image. Hopefully I'll do it tomorrow, maybe some studio still life shots and some kind of landscape. I'll let you know about the results.
    If you got the lens for a fantastic price I would just shoot it like it is. Shield the front cell from stray light and I will bet you wont be able to tell the difference between the spotted Aero Ektar from the clear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    If you got the lens for a fantastic price I would just shoot it like it is. Shield the front cell from stray light and I will bet you wont be able to tell the difference between the spotted Aero Ektar from the clear one.
    Got it for less than 100€, so yes, it is a fantastic price (at least in the European market).

I'm gonna try it out tomorrow, then, and see what happens. Fomapan 400 should fit the bill.

I doubt the results will be very good.
    It is the rear cell that goes yellow/brown and these cement spots look very opaque to me.

Try it out the way it is and see if it will work for you.

Aero-Ektar does not use balsam, it was one of the first lenses to use synthetic adhesives. Heat will not help you, they were military grade, expected to go far 140* on the runway to -40* at altitude within minutes.

The only way you will get it apart is to soak it in acetone or methylene chloride (paint stripper) and it will take weeks for the vapors to reach through that diameter of glass. Much easier to have a pro do it BUT it will cost. Check the link below.

Norland Optical Adhesive #61

I have a good friend whose Aero Ektar has a large abrasion/scratch probably 1/4" by 1" across the center of the front element. When he bought it (he got a deal) I was convinced he would see image degradation as a result of the damaged optics, but I have never seen a difference between the results he gets with his lens and my nearly mint one. My guess is you'll be fine.

We both shoot ours wide open, of course, so that probably helps mask any flaws.

I tested it yesterday, sadly no clear sun so I couldn't test the flare, etc. I did shoot some against-the-cloudy-sun frames but I have to develop them.

I also took the two attached polaroid shots, the pigeons are wide open at f2.5 (1/500) and the portrait is at ~f4.5 (1/125), sun hidden behind the clouds in both cases.

As far as I'm concerned, the lens performs greatly on no-direct-light situations. I'm keeping it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    This isn't balsam separation though, from the looks of it.
    yes it does. especially the last image.

just shoot with it. you will not see anything. playing with it may result in a broken or useless lens.....or if you pay some one a very expensive lens.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

It's like trying to fix a Lens Baby!