Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: yosemite in January

Re: yosemite in January

I've taken 41 into the Valley many times in January. It all depends on the weather.
    There is a bit of black ice that always seems to develop on 41 so go s-l-o-w if you take that route. In fact go s-l-o-w no matter which route you choose. The Valley in January won't disappoint (unless it floods or something and they close the gates)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I've taken 41 into the Valley many times in January. It all depends on the weather.
    There is a bit of black ice that always seems to develop on 41 so go s-l-o-w if you take that route. In fact go s-l-o-w no matter which route you choose. The Valley in January won't disappoint (unless it floods or something and they close the gates)
    I would agree with John on the going slow part or at least stay within the posted speed limit on 120. I've seen on two occasions where there were vehicles laying on their sides and from talking to one of them it was just a matter of going a little too fast and the car just had a mind of its own and headed towards the snow bank and they did a slow roll. Also the park rangers seem to patrol the stretch from the entrance to the valley quite a bit.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

41 Black Ice never again! I had to get pulled out of a snow bank due to black ice and going just a bit to fast. take 140 in it is much safer and just drive slow.

Another vote for Hwy 140, I like Mariposa, always check road conditions, 140 is prone to closure due to rockslides.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Studded snow tires help a lot and make having to use tire chains less likely much of the time. A good thing for this area is to prepare for wet and cold more than anything. The valley isn't that cold and you will often find getting soaked is more likely than not when walking around with gear.
    If you are going to be photographing under trees have an umbrella for falling snow and water drops. Can also help as a partial windbreak if things get breezy. Warm socks like Wigwam Outlast(Merino Wool - keeps you warm even when wet) and good boots for the snowy conditions are worth having.
    Tape the exposed metal areas of your tripod and you will have fewer problems with the cold metal when carrying and adjusting.
    I could be wrong but I think studded tires are verboten in CA,
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Correct. Studded tires are illegal here; and when they say chains, they mean chains,
    no exceptions. Having grown up in the mtns I generally waited for the skier traffic to
    clean the road by sliding hither and thither into the trees, then went up the hill afterwards. A few times overconfident Highway Patrolmen would also skid off black ice. The most freuqent accidents were from macho four-wheeler youngsters with their jacked-up trucks. Four wheels skid off the ice just as easy as two wheels. Besides
    chains, sometimes the control points will mandate that you have a sleeping bag in
    the car. Common sense.

Preston Birdwell

Correct. Studded tires are illegal here
    This is incorrect. Studded tires are allowed, with certain restrictions. Please see this section from the CA Vehicle Code.

I do not know if the NPS allows studded tires in lieu of chains in CA national parks.

In any event, being prudent and driving safely is the best way to stay out of trouble.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

Preston - since virtually all Sierra traffic involves considerable changes in altitude from
    dry to icy, there's really no practical way to be legal with studded tires unless you change the tires themselves somewhere en route. The legal category of studs probably refers to Spikes Spiders like the CHP uses - those quickie tire booties. At least in my experience I've never seen permanently studded tires in use like they are in parts of Oregon. Maybe if the local highway patrolman recognized you as local resident in Truckee just going back and forth for groceries or something, but anyone passing thru is likely to raise an eyebrow and get stopped. In any event, at the foot
    of some of the pass routes there are winter signs with the fine print on them. But
    hitting dry pavement with studded tires is CERTAIN to fetch a ticket.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The way things are shaping up you may not need chains or snow tires studded or not this season. All weather forecast models are DRY for the Sierra - the very opposite of last year's.

It's time to do a rain/snow dance around here!

Thomas

Preston Birdwell

Drew,

Here is a direct exerpt from the CVC cited in my post above:

(e) (1) Pneumatic tires containing metal-type studs of tungsten carbide or other suitable material that are inserted or constructed so that under no condition will the number of studs or the percentage of metal in contact with the roadway exceed 3 percent of the total tire area in contact with the roadway, between November 1 and April 30 of each year. A vehicle may be equipped year-round with tires that have studs that retract pneumatically or mechanically when not in use, if the studs are retracted between May 1 and October 31 of each year. A tire on a vehicle shall not be worn to a point at which the studs protrude beyond the tire tread when retracted.
    One would not be required to change out studded tires if they hit dry pavement, if the date is between November 1 and April 30. Here in Tuolumne county, lots of folks use studded tires during the winter months so that they don't have to stop to install/remove tire chains, unless the CHP requires chains on all vehicles.

A CHP or local LE may look at you funny if you use studded tires on dry pavement, but they legally cannot ticket you if you meet the requirements, as quoted above.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."