Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: More Kodak discontinuations

Re: More Kodak discontinuations

I just recently printed with the 320TXP/Azo combination incouraged by on an earlier post by you Sal and i agree that it is a very nice combo.

The 8x10 B&W sheet film from Kodak may soon be history but if i were using more 4x5 than i do i would start filling the freezer now. I don't think it will be arround for much longer. I have started to buy some 120 rolls on a regular basis just to be prepared.

Drew Wiley

I'd hate to lose that extra margin of quality security that might happen with Kodak's
    demise. There's no direct substitute for HC-110 or TMRS developers, for instance, and
    will the replacement products for things like RA4 developer in small batch kits really be
    equal to Kodak's version? One can lose quite a bit of money just finding out. TMax films
    are more resistant to handling scratches etc than the generic replacements, and Ilford
    doesn't really have comparable curve characteristics in any of their current films. Ektar
    was just intoduced and there's nothing quite like it, and it gave me a ray of hope now
    that Ciba is going down for the count; and I just don't regard digital printing as a realistic option - equip and software are going obsolete all the time, it ain't cheap at
    all to print in big sizes, and definitely doesn't give me either the look or market niche
    I am personally aiming for. And inflation is finally kicking in big time on all kinds of photo
    supplies. So that leaves me little option to seeing just how much film I can afford to
    stockpile in the freezer and simply hoping that C41 film processing will remain available.
    Communicating with Fuji can be just as miserable as with Kodak, and I suspect they
    have their share of infighting and conflicting info too. But at least their color paper
    looks like it will have a strong market presence for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    . . . 4x5 B&W isn't in "danger." A couple of weeks ago I bought a 50 sheet box of TMax 400, no problem. I'm sure that I could go downtown and buy another 50 sheet box. But Kodak 8x10 B&W? Hmmm...
    I'd rephrase that to say 4x5 B&w isn't in "immediate danger." Long range its prospects are no different than those of 8x10, it's just a question of how long "long" is.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

...and if it TPX and Ektar in 8x10 now....how long will it be Portra 160 in 8x10, then 4x5...and even 120. This recent round of discontinuations doesnt "directly" affect my work flow "immediatly." However, I am seriously worried that my recent investments in a drum scanner, mamiya 7 lenses, and additional 4x5 lenses will be a waste if I cannot get color neg film in the near future. While I'm sad that TPX will be harder to get, as I was recently contemplating shooting some in 8x10, it would be the loss of color neg film that would really scare me. I need it to do the work I do.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I'd rephrase that to say 4x5 B&w isn't in "immediate danger." Long range its prospects are no different than those of 8x10, it's just a question of how long "long" is.
    agreed
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Right when I was about to beef up my inventory of mtg board and print boxes, and
    maybe do a custom run of mouding, this pops up, and there goes my elective cash
    into that damn freezer! But so far this hasn't been a bad strategy - film discontinuances or not, because it has given me an edge on the pricing inflation of
    film and paper in general. I'll be able to coast a few years without major film purchases.
    But I certainly don't want a decades worth of anything for fear it will spoil or be
    genuinely superseded. Just ironic how you go onto the Pro section of Kodak's website
    and they're promoting how wonderful Ektar is for pros now that sheets are available
    too! Kinda like back when a co-worker invited me to dinner at their house so I could
    answer a few repair questions. Once I was there he handed me a pipe wrench. Two
    hours later his wife showed up with a Burger King bag. I'd be a little more sympathetic
    to Kodak's plight if this kind of thing hadn't happened over and over again. A relatively
    small pain for me, but when a lab owner friend of mine got burned so bad by unannounced service discontinuances that it bankrupted him, well, one starts getting
    the picture that this has a lot to do with attitude and not just product.

one starts getting
    the picture that this has a lot to do with attitude and not just product.
    I get the feeling that they have just accepted the idea that film is a dead and that they are just riding the dribble of profits available till the perceived end.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Sooo.....anyone used Fuji color neg film recently? Any chance we can start getting it in 4x5 and 8x10 at a reasonable price here in the states?
    ----------------------

Drew Wiley

It ain't that simple, Adam. Kodak stills offers a couple of flagship neg films in 8X10
    (Portra 160 and 400) which probably have more commercial viability than Ektar. They
    just aren't the films I personally use. The annoyance is that they barely wiggle their
    toes into the water before they instantly retract something, and don't give it enough
    time to do anything realistic. People are barely learning how to use this new film
    correctly and are now forced into a group order or nothing. Yet the 4x5 size flies off
    the shelf so fast at the local camera store that I have to keep extra in the freezer or
    volume order it too. So its not like the emulsion per se isn't viable. It's more like Kodak
    just deciding 8X10 is too old fogey for them. Not a good idea where just a handful of
    forums like this one spread reputations and opinions almost instantly. And when is the
    last time you ever heard an actual rep from EK or Fuji actually chime in to the discussion, if ever. But they're probably smart enough to stay clear of anything the
    higher-ups have already made up their mind about. Yet over the last couple of decades
    it doesn't seem to matter whether someone spends two hundred bucks a years on
    Kodak products or two million - when they decide to change course for whatever
    reason, tough luck on whoever previously supported them.

Thanks Drew....yeah I know its not simple...I just really wish it was.
    ----------------------