Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson V700 focus

jadphoto

Epson V700 focus

Hi All,

Just got my new V700 and ran some preliminary tests.

Scanned a 4x5 neg three times, first with the height adjusters at the default settings (0 position), then at the higher setting (+ position) and lastly with the adjusters removed. I'm using the provided Epson negative holder(s).

I set the output for a 8x10" print at 300 dpi. I'll be damned if I can see any difference in the sharpness when looking at the files at 100%.

Should there be a more marked difference or am I doing something wrong?

Perhaps I need to scan for a larger output to evaluate sharpness? I'm using Silverfast 6 and have set the output sharpening to 0.

Thanks in advance,

JD

Re: Epson V700 focus

I have had the same experience on a v750 epson. Tried to focus on a 35mm 120 and 4x5 film.... cant get perfect focus.... I even have tried to tighten and loosen the top that holds glass.... i got my new epson and the glass needed a good cleaning. Really wish there was a better scanner out there..... i scan at high resolution just to get some sharp prints. yea yea i know Nikon... but the price would mean i would have to take a 2nd on the house to buy... It seems Epson or some other company would see this gap and make a scanner that would come close to sharp scans

my 2cents

Joseph,

I'm not sure if you are scanning at 300 dpi or scanning to an output of 300 dpi. A 4x 5 scanned at 300 dpi to 8x10 is a 2x enlargement. Might not show much difference between hieghts when viewed at 100%.
    On the other hand, scanning at 2400 dpi (close to the V700 optimum) to original size and viewing at 100% with 300 dpi gives an 8X image (2400/300) or 40 x 32 ".
    I guarrantee you will see the differences.

Tony is right. I have even found a difference in scanning mounted slides right-side-up vs. right-side-down. You can only see a difference if you scan at higher ppi. The V700/750 is capable of stunning scans - even 35mm - but getting the focus correct can make you a little nuts, not to mention Silverfast making you a little nuts.

jadphoto

Yeah, you're right...it's all making me a little nuts.

To clarify, I was scanning an 8x10 output at 300 dpi.

I've also tried scanning to 16x20 at 300 dpi, still don't see much difference.

I'll try 4x5 @ 2400 dpi, also try turning the neg over.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post

JD
    Turning the negative over won't make as much difference as using the spacers for different heights. The high-resolution scan should tell you all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Koechling View Post
    Turning the negative over won't make as much difference as using the spacers for different heights. The high-resolution scan should tell you all you need to know.
    i use slide mounts to scan 35mm. i scan emulsion up it makes a big difference in my scans. Because of the way the neg bows in the mount can mean the difference between a good scan and a great one. yes the spacers work, but when you have your scanner "dialed in" emulsion up or down can make a difference. Not much of a difference but to my eye, it is detectable. Forget about using the 35mm strip holder, the 35mm strips bow so much i get newton pattern because of contact with the glass. The different holders seem to tell the scanner on which plane to focus on also..... well it took months to get my epson v750 to sing and dance... and i still have the occasional problems. Epson could make this a great scanner if they would do a little more engineering and quality control on it...

http://www.mikepic.com

Can anyone remind me of the differences between the Epson 700 and the Epson 750 scanners?

In particular, is there any difference between these scanners if I use them primarily with Vuescan under Linux? It seems from the Vuescan descriptions that they are the same.

5x4 Crown G

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    Yeah, you're right...it's all making me a little nuts.

To clarify, I was scanning an 8x10 output at 300 dpi.

I've also tried scanning to 16x20 at 300 dpi, still don't see much difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JD
    Have (hopefully) included a shot scanned at 2400dpi and a crop from it, taken with my Crown Graphic using a 6x9cm rollfilm holder. I am new to LF photography but really amazed at the detail in the crop at 100% from a 74" image. My scanner is an Epson 2400 with the optional Film Adapter lid (maximum scan size 5x4) but have noticed that scanning above 2400dpi really is of no benefit whatsoever....fingers crossed...not worked so typed links in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vins_pi...7628473029381/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vins_pi...7628473029381/
    Last edited by VinR; 18-Dec-2011 at 15:09. Reason: img still not appearing
    ...when I grow old, I want to want.