Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yosemite in January

yosemite in January

Have anyone driven into Yosemite in January? I'm thinking of going in late January and was wondering what the drive is like at that time of the year.I'll be taking the 120 into the valley.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: yosemite in January

You have to carry chains and be prepared for any type of winter weather. Great month to be in the park. It will be cold and hope for some snow. Great ULF weather and so few people.

Yes, carry chains. Watch the weather reports and check the nps.gov website for road status for road closures. Have as a backup plan to go through highway 140 if highway 120 is closed. It will add some hours to the drive but at least you will make it into the valley. I learned that the hard way last year when I was within 30 miles of the 120 entrance and they closed the road. I had to go back down the hill and take highway 41 over to highway 140.

Preston Birdwell

"I had to go back down the hill and take highway 41 over to highway 140."
    Small correction: That would be Highway 49, rather than 41. At the community of Moccasin, you would bear right onto 49 to Coulterville and Mariposa. You would pick up 140 there.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Small correction: That would be Highway 49, rather than 41. At the community of Moccasin, you would bear right onto 49 to Coulterville and Mariposa. You would pick up 140 there.

--P
    Thanks Preston, that's a big correction. I wouldn't want anybody getting confused and lost out there. Highway 49 was not a fun drive, too windy so now I go all the way down highway 99 to Merced and take highway 140 if there is any chance of highway 120 closing.

Preston Birdwell

Chris,

I'm not a big fan of 49, either. It can be treacherous in the wind or rain. It's the best way to go for me if 120 is closed, however.

Even if 120 is open, and if it is icy or snow-covered, it can be real dicey going downhill from Crane Flat to the valley.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Yep, chains.

Also, try to book ahead for accommodations. They have heated tents in the Valley, or even tents without any heating. You can also go the expensive route and stay in the Lodge. Another option would be one of the two motels in El Portal. You don't want to be heading back and forth between Yosemite and Oakhurst or some other town with more motel options, as it could easily add over an hour or more to your drive time with chains on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wong View Post
    ....It will add some hours to the drive but at least you will make it into the valley.
    This is true only if you've made it all the way to the Park entrance on 120 and had to turn around. If you're down in the San Joaquin Valley, say half way between 120 and 140, it's less than 15-20min difference in driving time. If 120 is requiring chains or even closed, 140 will most likely NOT be closed and you won't need chains (unless of course they are required but you won't need them until you get to the valley.) I don't know where you're driving from, but 140 is the easiest and most direct route in to Yosemite Valley, IMHO. You are required to carry chains regardless, as already mentioned.

January is a fantastic time to visit the valley. However, it's a crap shoot. If you have the flexibility, and if you can, watch the weather and leave on a moments notice or even a few days notice knowing a winter storm is passing. If temps are too high and it rains... raining in January with dirty snow, drab conditions is not fun in the Valley. Being there the morning after a winter storm covers the valley in snow, is heaven. But a roll of dice when planning things months in advance.

I hope you get great conditions!

Lon

My usual route in is Hwy 120 -- but if there is chance of significant ice, then up the Merced River is just as fast. And I like roads hike Hwy 49 in the winter. Interesting!

Could be some interesting weather in the Valley. Having chains with you is required in the Park in the Winter.

Have fun!

Vaughn

Drew Wiley

Slipping into the Valley just ahead of a cold storm is ideal. You almost have the place
    to yourself, and if there's fresh powder, it's my favorite month to be there. Besides
    chains I'd definitely bring snowshoes, ski poles, gaiters, and a Goretex snow suit, plus snow baskets for your tripod feet and a small plastic tarp for your loose gear or to sit on. But as already mentioned, the weather is very difficult to predict, as are highway conditions. The south entrance is a very slow slog unless you're going up to Badger Pass and Glacier Pt. I think it's easiest in Winter to go right up the canyon thru El Portal. Always call the road condition hotlines a day or two prior.