Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock 300 APO Ronar f9 optimized for?

Rodenstock 300 APO Ronar f9 optimized for?

A question for the lens-heads...

The Ronar 300mm, is it optimized for close-up and copy work or infinity? I'd like to use it for architecture - usually in the 25' to infinity range... or I can relegate it to copy work of blueprints and get another for 5x7 fieldwork. Mine is Serial #1048954 in Copal 1 shutter f9 to f90, with 49 filter thread and a silver Rodenstock quality seal. It came with my 8x10 copy camera from a local lab, which is why I ask.

Any ideas where my happy aperture for infinity would be?? f22 is my guess. I shoot 5x7 and 4x5 with it in the field.

Thanks in advance for the expertise.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Drew Wiley

Re: Rodenstock 300 APO Ronar f9 optimized for?

I don't know the serial #'s, but given that it's in shutter, it will probably be stellar at
    infinity anywhere from around f/16 to f/32. These lenses have a very solid reputation
    for long-distance field work, as well as for closeup. Perhaps Bob will chime in with his
    Rodenstock expertise.

I've used mine for a number of years now on 4x5 and have no complaints about it's sharpness. It may be optimized for closer distances but I've never used it in that way - just at "out there" kinds of distances. I'm very happy with the lens, usually stopped down in the 22-45 range depending on the DOF I'm looking for.

From a B&H Photo Video document on Large Format Lenses - which appears to copy the manufacturer's own text (emphasis mine):

APO RONAR in Copal Shutter
    The scope of these Classic Process, 4 elements in 4 group lenses, with their outstanding definition, goes far beyond processing and product shots. With an image circle of 48°, they are first class long focal telephoto lenses. These lenses can also be used for close-ups. Though ideally corrected for 1:1 reproduction, the Apo-Ronar lenses maintains their image quality, even at high reductions (distance range) or magnification. The apo-chromatic correction keeps even high contrast outlines free from color fringing.

Germane to this discussion: in testing my 210mm Macro Sinaron at equivalent long distances, I found it indistinguishable from my 150mm APO Sironar-S - equivalent to the point where I see no reason to get a 210 Sironar (or any other 210) as a complementary lens in that length.

Perhaps at the extremes of coverage, one might be able to see a difference, or with other more rigorous testing procedures - but for ordinary purposes, these lenses are like the APO Nikkor and Fujinon A (and G-Claron when stopped down sufficiently): superb at infinity also.

I would say it would make a very fine 300mm for 5x7, comparable in size to a Fujinon C or Nikkor M. I have a 240mm Ronar, I think they cover more than the specs say, and one advantage of the design (I believe) is thet they have the same coverage wide open as stopped down. Mine is very sharp even at f9.

I have a 300mm APO Ronar (also 49mm) that I bought in cells and put in a shutter as was intentioned. All I can say is it is a pretty spectacular lens. Sharp as a tack without too much contrast.

So in my camera case it will go on a custom anti-recessed lens board with a cone.

I was fortunate to have the latest version of 300mm Nikkor M and the latest version of 300mm APO-Ronar (blue ring, Copal mounted). I did a non-scientific lens test using a lens resolution target and viewed the results under a 10x loupe. In my test, the Ronar marginally outperformed Nikkor. I have been using the Ronar extensively and have been very happy with the results.

// Atul

1:1. They simply can not match an Apo Sironar-S at 1:5 to infinity with 3 dimensional subjects. Nor will they match an Apo Sironar Digital at 1:3 to 5:1 for 3 dimensional objects at macro and close-up distances. But the S and the macro won't equal an Apo Ronar at 1:1 or near 1:1 copy of flat art work.
    Also, the Apo Ronar is a process lens corrected for use at f22 only.