Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon 90mm SW f8

Nikon 90mm SW f8

Being on Kerry's site for a bit, for the first time I learned that the Nikon 90mm SW f8 lens has the same image circle as my Schneider S.A. 90mm f5.6, which is 235mm! Plus, I seem to recall that both are 8 element lenses.

Any reason why I shouldn't swap it out? I'd be interested in people's perspective who've used the Nikkor f8 lens.

I also have the S.A. 121mm f8, and from using that lens, the loss of an f-stop isn't a problem.

Of course, the f4.5 Nikon S.W. would be even better, and would have same image circle at f16 instead of f22. But, I like the idea of cutting back on weight.

Octogenarian

Re: Nikon 90mm SW f8

Hi Neil,

The Nikon/Nikkor f8 90SW has the most "bang for the buck" of the smaller size wide angle lenses..

It weighs 360gms and takes a 67mm screw-in filter,yet it has a 235mm image circle.

Nikon/Nikkor f8 90SW's don't appear on the used market very often, and when they do, they usually demand a premium price. KEH has one listed for $695.

I use mine for 5x7 and also have a Fujinon f8 90SW, with a slightly smaller image circle, that I use or 4x5.

Since I usually shoot outdoors, there is no disadvantage to the slower f8 aperture.

To get my Nikkor 90mm SW F8 from me, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers!
    Robert Oliver

Dave Karp

I like mine very much. I have been thinking about doing the same thing as you are proposing. My wonderful 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon-N has been sitting in a drawer. I don't do so much architectural work any more. No more color film, and the Nikkor will meet any needs I might have in that regard anyway. I had an older 90mm f/8 Fujinon which was also very nice, but like all of the rest of the f/6.8 or f/8 90s, the image circle was significantly smaller.

What Gem said.

Mine is one of my sharpest and most contrasy lenses. f8 is not a problem.

Echo the above...doesn't weigh a thing. I did try out an f4.5 and noticed a difference after the sun hit the horizon, the extra stops helped on the gg...but, heck, 'f8 and be there'...set up 10 minutes earlier than needed and kick back... A great lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Nikon/Nikkor f8 90SW's don't appear on the used market very often, and when they do, they usually demand a premium price. KEH has one listed for $695.
    While this is true, they do seem to show up on ebay occasionally and never seem to fetch the premium they do around here or at KEH. I've seen several go for $400 or so. I got mine on ebay for $325 after waiting and watching for a while. I had a Schneider 90/8 so I was in no rush, just wanted to try it out and I ended up definitely seeing the advantage of a bigger IC.

That reminds me, I still need to sell my Schneider SA 90/8 MC...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Smile Re: Nikon 90mm SW f8

Love my Nikkor 90mm one of the best and most used lenses that I have.
    All Nikkor lenses are very good and do not require center filters.

Luis

"and do not require center filters."

No, Nikon simply didn't offer them. They can be just as needed with any modern wide angle from any manufacturer.

I have the 4.5 and loved it. But once I got the 80SS I quit carrying the 90. Same view angle, 4.5, and tiny. Hard to get one at a good price, so the Nikon is still the best bang for the buck.