Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dslr back

Dslr back

This is my first post here and most of you probably hate the idea of using dslr camera instead of real film on the back of LF camera, but you are the only ones I can ask this questions.
    I'm a product photographer that wants to use benefits of LF camera movements on my dslr. I'm familiar with LF photography, I studied it in school.
    What I have no experience with is - what is the quality of LF lenses on Dslr sensor, because I heard the native dslr lenses produce much sharper images on dslr FF sensor than LF lenses. Do you know anything about this? I hope it's not true, since I would really like to dive back in LF photography

Re: Dslr back

You should use, at the least, a medium-format digital back.

Thanks for quick replay!
    Since I'm really beginner on the subject. Why do you think dslr is not an option, and why it wouldn't perform well?
    Thanks!

Considering the size of a FF dslr sensor, you're going to be struggling to find a LF lens wide enough to make photography easy. People use/used dslr's to stitch images together for greater resolution. It's not ideal and is very time consuming.

Ash,
    I'm aware of this problem. I don't need wide angle, since it's exclusively for product photography ( telephoto, macro etc.).
    What about the quality of dslr picture shot with dslr lens vs dslr picture shot with LF lens?
    BTW, great pictures you have on your website!

Quote Originally Posted by Pics2 View Post
    Thanks for quick replay!
    Since I'm really beginner on the subject. Why do you think dslr is not an option, and why it wouldn't perform well?
    Thanks!
    Define 'well'

The mirror box on a DSLR severely limits the movements. Critical focus is hard to achieve unless you're tethered to a computer (and the output is HDMI). It's difficult to get the sensor plane aligned with the GC/film plane.

It's been done quite a few times by DIYers and there are several commercial entries available. I've built one entirely from scratch and have been thinking about adding a film back: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...20Pano%20Head/

I meant, well like it was shot with dslr lens.
    About the movements, does that mean the movements are limited to the same range like Canon and Nikon TS lenses (around 11 and 8), or is it more? If the movements are that limited, is it better to stick with native TS lenses of Dslr?
    You made great gear.
    I know there are a lot commercial solutions, that's why I wanted to give it a try.

I think what you are asking is if modern DSLR lenses are sharper than LF lenses when used with a DSLR back on a view camera. I don't know, but some LF lenses are very sharp, while others are very soft. I think you might get sharper lenses for the DSLR, as they only need to cover an area the size of the sensor, which I think is about the size of a postage stamp, whereas LF lenses have to cover a much larger area. I think you might be better off with a LensBaby. Or, shoot film!

Thank you all for your input. It'll help me decide which direction to go!

FWIW... I use an Olympus EP-1 for my back as it eliminates the shadow of the mirror box getting in the way. My experience with DSLR is that you can cover about a 2.5x2.5" area using 4x5 equipment giving me a 70mp image with stitching. The EP-1 can give a 4x4" area with 485mp. Here are pics of both of my set ups. I use a Sinar P rear standard w/ RRS quick clamp and 180mm Sinaron Macro lens (a very sharp lens btw). It's my "Poormans scanner. The advantage of the medium format over small format digital is that there is a better D-max with the medium... you can make up that shortfall with HDR type shooting if the subject is stationary.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.