Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 600 mm?

Which 600 mm?

Hello all from Salamanca, Spain
    This is my first post. I need advice about which 600mm purchase. I would like to use it for 8x10, so Fujinon T 600 may not be considered. I mainly shot color slide film. My options are Fujinon 600, Nikkor T ED 600/9, Schneider Apo Tele Xenar 600/9 and Apo Sinaron (Rodenstock apo ronar) 600/9. This lens is offered me in new condition for a really atractive price, but needs a Sinar Copal shutter and a lot of extension bellows.
    Which of the mentioned lenses produces the best image quality?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Which 600 mm?

You forgot the 24" red dot artar. Much cheaper than current fujinon prices. I've owned both. The artar was very sharp.

Well, my only experience is with a Fujinon 600. I use it for 4x5, 8x10, and 14x17. All the lenses you mentioned I bet deliver top quality images...but what do you consider, "best quality image" ?

Sharp and with good contrast. Sharpness is my main interest.

The Apo Tele Xenar, if cost isn't an issue, and especially if it is the latest version. You'll have the same "lots of bellows"bellows issue (if it is an issue) with non-teles whether it be the Artar, Fuji, or Apo Ronar.

Cheers, Steve

There is also the Zeiss Jena (barrel) or Docter (Copal 3) Apo-Germinar 600mm, similar to the Apo-Ronar and - Artar, but a 6 element construction.

24" Red-Dot Artars are somewhat "commonplace" lately. Richard K. just sold his(for a great price too!), and there's been a few on ebay lately too. Prices vary.

They're APO corrected, if you shoot color it definitely helps IMO. Downside though, if you have a brass-barreled version(as I do), its not the lightest option.

I've used a friend's Fujinon-C 600mm, and it was very sharp. I like the "feel" that my RDA gives though, a little less contrast, but still razor sharp!

-Dan

There's also the De Golden Busche lenses. There was a 610mm that had huge coverage. But, they don't come up very often. I've maybe seen three of these on EBay in several years.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=39289

If you are considering using a Sinar Copal Shutter, then you can also use a 610mm APO Nikor. Wicked sharp and contrasty. But the Fujinon is really convenient, small and light by comparison. I had one for a while and should have kept it. If a lens is too large or heavy, you won't use it often - and then what's the point in having it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    If you are considering using a Sinar Copal Shutter, then you can also use a 610mm APO Nikor. Wicked sharp and contrasty. But the Fujinon is really convenient, small and light by comparison. I had one for a while and should have kept it. If a lens is too large or heavy, you won't use it often - and then what's the point in having it?
    It seems that Fujinon 600 is a good performer. I like its great image circle, but I donīt know if it is as sharp and contrasty as an apo lens in the apo Nikkor/apo Ronar style (I own Apo Ronar 480 which I love) or a tele lens like the Apo Tele Xenar, that seems to be the best among tele designs.