Thread: Rubber lens hoods for LF lenses

Rubber lens hoods for LF lenses

Greetings,

I would like to order some screw-on rubber lens hoods for my three large format lenses. Currently I never use hoods, but have been told that they may make a significant difference in contrast and flare reduction. My plan is to buy one for each lens so they will always be ready to use. John Sexton, at his workshop, recommended the Hama brand. I am not interested in a bulky compendium type system.

So here is my question. How do I buy these for my lenses? How do I know it will not vignette? They seem to be offered in the 35mm camera section at B&H. My lenses are Schneider 90 SA XL, 150 APO-Symmar, 240 APO-Symmar. Any help with how to order these would be helpful.

Signed,

the unhooded one

ScottJonesPhoto.com

With its 110 degree coverage, vignetting is sure to be a problem for your 90mm Super Angulon XL. Hama doesn't seem to have a hood that would fit, anyway. For your 150mm, they have an adjustable hood with a 62mm fitting, so that and a 58 - 62 step-up ring should work fine. For your 240mm lens, they make a 77mm adjustable which should be a direct fit.

If you have cut corners on your groundglass, you can check for vignetting by looking through the corners and adjust your lensshade accordingly. Some people check for vignetting by looking past the hood towards the groundglass.

Is it fruitless to try to use a hood on the 90 SA XL?

Scott

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

It's not fruitless, but an adjustable compendium shade is a LOT better.

Compendium shade is NOT that bulky considering its universal application. It's quite light and if you're thinking of carrying around 3 separate rubber hoods, each in its own protective case, it will likely come to about same volume.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Having pre-conceived carry overs from other formats is something I had to discard a long time ago. Large format by its very nature is a unique creature. The utilization of a compendium was one of those that I had to come to grips with that as Witold and others mentioned, is not that big a deal. At the end of the day, it is all about flexibility and results and the compendium I have for the Canham and the Linhof work fabulously well when needed for a wide range of applications.

I have read that legends like Morley Bauer used a significantly oversized darkcloth to hold a darkslide in place over the front standard to accomplish the same objective. As an added benefit, the word "pinholes" and "bellows" were excised from his operating vocabulary. Cheers!

Although I have an adjustable Lee compendium shade, I was always searching for a more compact "field solution", esp. when carrying only one or two lenses in a small backpack. I bought several screw-in lens hoods on Ebay for almost nothing. Try to get some convolutes to save postage. Actually I found a rubber one that fits on a Grandagon 6.8/90 very well (for the movements I usually need), and a real good and small metal one for my Fujinon 12.5/450. You will most probably not be able to specify exactly what to look for. Just buy some second-hand ones and try them out. Take care that they work with at least one additional screw-in filter.

Compendium shades are not bulky at all. I have a $80 one, a Lee I think, which I carry with me AT ALL TIMES. It clips onto my Cokin "P" filter holder, so I use it on everything from 35mm to 645 to 8x10. A great investment. One set of filters, one holder, one shade. Just different rings.

-J Antman