Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2011 portraits

Re: December 2011 portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    As a side note for r.e. who seems to place ideas over aestheticism (quote "I prefer content over surface formula"), whose only visual contribution here are snap shots of his camera mounted on different tripods, who likes to throw names for reference and inspiration to show he has got more culture than the rest of us, and who...

The vintage look of the portrait series try to tie together life and death, and resembles real antique portraits depicting long-gone persons. I also want to show that people look the same 100 years ago or a 100 years from now.

At least these are the "contents" for me, but r.e. most probably cannot see below the "surface" if the "contents" are not properly spelled out.
    For your information, my involvement in this site goes back to about 2003 or 2004. Early on, I did post some photographs. I stopped when a photographer for whom I have a great deal of respect sent me an email saying that this forum was becoming profoundly conservative. This was around about the time that a number of very accomplished photographers just plain stopped contributing. The quality of discussion on aesthetic issues tanked, because there was a significant majority of participants who were trashing anybody who wanted to talk about modern photography. I don't know how to explain this, except to say that if I go to MOMA, the disconnect between the photography that I see there, and where this forum is at, is immense.

This site is a great technical resource for photographers, but it is generally very tired from an aesthetic perspective.

Anyway, there is a huge divide here and nothing has changed.
    Last edited by r.e.; 6-Dec-2011 at 00:15.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Stop doing what others did to you to make you stop posting images.

Instead, show us your ground breaking imagery and convert/inspire us!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    Stop doing what others did to you to make you stop posting images.

Instead, show us your ground breaking imagery and convert/inspire us!
    Good Lord, grow up.

r.e.,

MOMA is just as full of misses as it is hits, regardless of style or approach. "Modern" is no guarantee of quality, aesthetic or otherwise. Where you see an artistic desert on these forums some of us see fertile ground. I guess we can agree to disagree.

I, however, agree with Stephane! Demonstrate what it is you mean by cutting-edge portraiture. I'd love to see your modern take on this traditional genre.

r.e. your opinion is just that, an opinion. this must be something that has upset you for many years. with that in mind you're better off leaving the forum than upsetting the majority of people who are happy to continue posting their boring old fashioned photographs.

things change. forums change. life changes. people get worse. you must be as guilty as anyone or else you would have done something to initiate a positive reaction to make change for the better. i don't see that, i see someone who can't get it up and complains about it.

with that said i agree that the forum is very stale at times, but hey if *i* don't like it, i don't complain i just don't post.

side-note: from your phrasing of your above response to stephane, it looks like you were highly influenced by the words of others. someone you respect told you this place was rubbish, so now in your mind nobody can tell you different. that is a very shallow mindset.

Just tried the "Ignore List" feature. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    you're better off leaving the forum than upsetting the majority of people who are happy to continue posting their boring old fashioned photographs.
    Should the people who have sent me personal messages saying that it is about time that someone raised these questions leave too?

God forbid that anyone should say anything that upsets the majority of the participants in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    God forbid that anyone should say anything that upsets the majority of the participants in the forum.
    My question is why would you want to? I could certainly stand up in church and espouse my atheist views, but I should not be surprised when the congregation is riled.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    My question is why would you want to? I could certainly stand up in church and espouse my atheist views, but I should not be surprised when the congregation is riled.
    You have just captured the whole problem.

I want to add, as an aside, that I find originality for its own sake as tiresome as tradition for its own sake. When I take pictures it is usually not to break new ground or follow in the footsteps of others but simply to photograph something that catches my eye. If this makes my images non-serious, non-innovative or otherwise run-of-the-mill, that's fine with me.