Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: "Affordable" 8x10 that's international travel "friendly".

Re: "Affordable" 8x10 that's international travel "friendly".

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    If you don't maintain a 4x5 enlarger, which can be large, 8x10 contact printing is significantly easier than enlarging 4x5.
    And why is that?

...because an 8x10 contact printing setup is much smaller and simpler than a 4x5 enlarging setup.

That's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    If you don't maintain a 4x5 enlarger, which can be large, 8x10 contact printing is significantly easier than enlarging 4x5.
    Disregarding equipment requirements I actually find enlarging 4*5 easier than contact printing 8*10, as far as dust control, cropping, dodging and burning is concerned..

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Disregarding equipment requirements I actually find enlarging 4*5 easier than contact printing 8*10, as far as dust control, cropping, dodging and burning is concerned..

Best,

Cor
    That's my point considering the op already has a 4x5 enlarger.

I may be wrong, but isn't the op's planned trip to one of the windiest places on earth? A lightweight 8x10 and lightweight tripod doesn't exactly fit with that environment. Sounds more suitable for the Linhof Technika. Also, a longer lens is great for mountainscapes, but a real weight problem with 8x10 backpacking. On 4x5 a 450 Fuji C would be a great lens to take, if you have the bellows for it.

It seems obvious the only solution will be to take both 4x5 and 8x10. If the 8x10 turns out to be too difficult to work with in the field, then you can fall back to the 4x5. Donate both to a school or a charity at the conclusion of the trip. You may even find people willing to donate cameras for you to deliver and teach residents how to use.

Right, thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update seeing as you've all provided a lot of help so far (thanks!)

I've ordered an Argentum 8x10 and I'm on the waiting list. Unfortunately the waiting list is going to be 18 months or so, so I won't have it by the time I leave for this trip. I'm ok with that. It's absolutely what I want in an 8x10 and will suit me and what I shoot/how I shoot right to the core. I'm excited.
    Because of this and what the other available and affordable 8x10 options are at the moment, I'm probably going to forego taking an 8x10 away with me this time. There's always (and will be a) next time, and I'm now going to spend a few weeks jumping on and off trains and wandering around India on my way home too, so having a photographic set up that's a bit more fleeting than what a 5kg+ camera and everything that goes with it will be is going to make my life so much easier. I'll either look for a cheap Speed graphic in the meantime and match it with my FM2n or just head on over with my FM2n and my Pentax 67. So long as everything fits in a Domke F2 I'll be happy.

I travelled 3 months in the Karakorum with a Nikon F65, thats ok, but in hindsight I would have loved it to have been a MF, print size is too small. A 35mm camera is really just dead weight.

I've been trekking with 810 and 45. With both formats my cameras of choice are Nagaoka. They're more than adequate providing you don't treat them like studio monorails.
    Wait for any light breeze to die down, wait for the camera to settle and you'll be rewarded with marvellous photos.
    Good luck
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    Strange that nobody suggested using 5x7: nearly 4 times bigger then 4x5
    8x10 is 4 times bigger than 4x5 in area. 5x7 isn't even double. i.e. 35 sq. inches vs. 20 sq. inches.

A good point though.

Steve.