Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" 8x10 that's international travel "friendly".

Re: "Affordable" 8x10 that's international travel "friendly".

I have switched to 8x10 primarily and use a Wehman. A Wehman LigHtweight would be ideal for you, or a Ritter, but neither is in your budget. As far as a lens goes, if you like a 150 in 4x5, consider a 305 mm G-Claron which is small, light, and allows for lots of movements.

Nevertheless, I would discourage you from going the 8x10 route. Even from 4x5 there is a learning curve. I did not think there would be given that is is simply an upscaled 4x5. But just as the film is 4x larger, everything seems to me multiplied by four: cost, bulk, weight, time, effort. On the surface, one ca,era, one lens, and 2 film holders seems simple. But you will need to change film which requires a large tent, spare film boxes, etc. you have to keep it all clean and dust free. You one lens could malfunction. You will have no idea how you are doing with focusing (much less depth of field compared to 4x5) until you get home. Since your budget is low, you will probably end up with a heavy camera and a heavy tripod. That could easily be 25 pounds right there, vs. ~11.5 pounds for an ultralight setup with a Ritter and CF tripod with no head.

I second the medium format option. For your budget, a Pentax 67 with a 45 and 135 macro lens would be a great option. Not the lightest, but solid.

I have never shot 8x10, but I've spent a fair amount of time in Nepal, and if you want to do it, take an 8x10, I say go for it. Why not?

Since you will be mostly in Kathmandu, I think you can shoot mostly black and white, but if you go out in the mountains you might want color. I initially was drawn to LF by dissatisfaction with my 35mm stuff from a trek in Nepal, and there was one waterfall that cried out for a 4x5 transparency. It would be even better in 8x10, but think of the expense, and make sure there is a lab in Katmandu that can process your color film, as I would not recommend trying to go through too many airports with exposed film. Its possible it you are careful and argumentative, but difficult and stressfull.

Have fun!

Tim

You know what you want to do. Just do it. Problems cry out for solutions. Sella took much larger cameras--take a look at his stuff for inspiration
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Have Bulldog mail you an 8x10 kit and build it there, then sell or give it to a local tog when you leave ;-)

I took an 8x10 kit to Greece a few years ago. The kit consisted of a Kodak Master, 2 lenses (19" Red Dot Artar, Nikkor M 300/9), Ries tripod (J600/A250), 8 holders, spare ground glass, changing tent and film. I checked in everything except the film and lenses since I figured thieves want digital, not LF. Everything came through unscathed.

As others have emphasized, lugging around everything it takes to shoot 8x10 can be very tiring. 4x5 is a walk in the park in comparison. It made me realize how fatigue inhibits creativity. Consider that.

You have already received lots of good suggestions on gear. Don't underestimate the value of extra film holders. You'll kick yourself if you find a great subject but can't photograph it because you ran out of film on hand.

Whatever you settle on, have a great time.

For travel shooting, when not a lot of movements are needed.... Kodak 2-D, light, & affordable. Quick to set up since it folds without removing the lens.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Thanks for the tip! I noticed he said there's not a ton of room for movements. Any chance you'd know if there was enough for ~2-3cm of rise?
    Excactly as Oren has already stated, its also in my opinion a bit on the short side, recomand the APO Sironar S it has 43mm shift and this is more usefull and its the sharpest lens I own.
    For lightwight the G-Glaron which I also have is an other option but it gets a bit soft on the corners after 3 cm of shift and you have to stop it down quite a bit to get 3cm shift!
    I also recomand to go with your 4x5 because you already know the machine!

Cheers Armin

Strange that nobody suggested using 5x7: nearly 4 times bigger then 4x5, the cameras are not that much bigger and/or heavier than 4x5 (and certainly not when comparing with 8x10) and 5x7 is imo a very decent contactprint.

The only disadvantage is that there's less choice in films.

Stefan.

Dominik

I have to second gliderbee's advice 5x7 is a beautiful contact printing format not too big and not too small. Film choice might be a problem but on the other hand you won't have to carry a ton of equipment. Older 5x7 Field cameras (Korona or similar) can be found quiet cheap.

Dominik

I think you should check the dimensions allowed for hand cabin bagage and work from there. I managed to pack a 13x18 and a 18x24 camera and escaped all the nervousness of lost hold bagage.
    Full plate or 18x24 does have size advantages over 8x10.