Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" 8x10 that's international travel "friendly".

Re: "Affordable" 8x10 that's international travel "friendly".

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I think shooting 8x10 is going to be hard for the type of travel you're doing. I love 8x10, but a full kit--even with one lens--is going to be tough to manage. The really light 8x10's are going to be expensive and the holders and tripod will kill you if the camera doesn't. Have you considered 5x7? A 5x7 camera doesn't weigh much more than a 4x5 and the contact prints are very nice--large enough to enjoy. I'd recommend whole plate--because the camera size and contact print are absolutely perfect, but it would cost a lot to get set up.

The Chamonix 5x7 convertible only weighs 2 kg and if you can scrape up the 2K--it would be a great choice. Shen Hao sells the FCL57A for $1300 and it weighs 3 kg.
    I'll have to admit this has worried me a bit. Once I get there I know I'll be totally fine, it's only really the getting there and back that'll be an issue, and being based in one place for 3 months would be long enough to justify the hassle. Plus there's a really good darkroom (at least there was on '08-'09, I'll be finding out before I go) in Kathmandu I'll be able to use to take the strain out of having unprocessed sheets sitting around waiting for something to go wrong.
    I've debated 5x7 before but I still find the contacts to be too small for my taste. Plus there's the much smaller variety of film. If I don't go 8x10 it'll definitely be 4x5 seeing as I still have all my holders, a 150mm and an enlarger, plus I'll be able to fit it all on a well sized shoulder bag. If I'm going to sell all that to fund something else I might as well make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    A used 8x10 Tachihara with that 240 and a couple of holders, plus a couple boxes of film and a smaller camera/meter would just make the carry-on and still be managable. Be sure to get a ground glass protector! A Tachi would be great with a 240 since you wouldn't be extending too far, if ever.

I think all of the 240/5.6 lenses are going to be a bit small in image circle at that price point, until you get into the slower f/9 lenses or the $$$ super ones. For people photos I would definitely prefer the f/5.6 aperture even if I sacrificed size/weight/coverage. For landscape only, then one of the small f/9 lenses would give you more coverage and be smaller too.
    To be honest, 2 holders will be all I'll need. I'm not going to be shooting constantly, I'm naturally a slow shooter and there should still be a darkroom I can use to un/reload regularly. This will make things seem quite manageable in my eyes, especially if I put my seamstress skills to good use and make a custom, light travel case for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I noticed he said there's not a ton of room for movements. Any chance you'd know if there was enough for ~2-3cm of rise?
    The specification is 28mm rise, 23mm shift at f/22 and infinity focus, landscape format. I had the chance to test the lens in its more recent Apo-Sironar-N incarnation. It's a very fine lens, but for my taste - I tend to use a fair amount of front rise with a wide-ish lens like 240 on 8x10 - the image circle did feel cramped.

I think the Tachihara double-extension 8x10 weighs around 4.5 kg. When figuring your kit weight, take into account the fact that modern 8x10 Fidelity holders weigh more than 600 g each. Also, that 240 Sironar-N is in a Copal 3, and weighs ~780 g. A G-Claron or similar in Copal 1 may be more practical. And don't forget the weight of the focusing hood, meter, case...

I used to travel with an old Korona, a 240mm G-Claron, and four wooden holders. This was as compact and lightweight as I could get and not feel that I was risking my entire net worth every time I took a flight. I regarded it as a replaceable kit which could be sold or even abandoned during my travels if necessary.

Currently I drag a 240mm f5.6 Sironar-S with me, larger coverage than the regular Sironar-N and Symmar-S (both are pretty tight as Oren notes above), but this is a large and expensive lens. Consider the 250mm f6.7 (not the f6.3) Fujinon-W rather than a 240mm f5.6 or even a f9 lens. It fits into a no. 1 shutter, and has more image circle than you will need, and won't cost very much. Also, rather than breaking the bank on a new camera, an older flatbed camera might fit the bill. They are lightweight (especially if you leave the second extension at home) and provide front rise.

Chris--you sound like you know what you're getting into. The Tachi double extension or the Shen Hao 8x10 would both probably work for you. If cost is an issue, you could always bring a Korona or a Kodak 2D without the extension rail--they don't weight that much more than the Tachi.

I second the Fujinon 250mm f6.7
    Plenty of room for movements, and lighter and smaller than the Copal 3-based 240mm.

It is good to hear that you are familiar with Nepal, and the particular situation that awaits you. I have not been to Nepal, but have been to India, and would not consider an 8x10 as my camera of choice there.

However, I have a friend who has trekked extensively in Nepal over several years, resultung in a portfolio of superb images. He uses a 4x5 Zone VI, and his enlargements to 8x10 are real gems.

I share your appreciation for the 8x10 contact print, but question the short time that you have to assemble a kit and become comfortable with "seeing 8x10". Personally, I would concentrate on the finest lenses, film, and developer combinations for working with 4x5.

Whatever you choose, have a fine journey and good light.

If I were in your shoes, it would be a Fuji GW 6x9 with tmax 400 and maybe portra 400. If I really wanted to spend time on photography, like a dream trip to very special and unvisited places and people, no expense spared on porters, jeeps and clean safe 'hotels', then I would consider a 5x7 with 1 or 2 lenses and 5 film holders. Canham, Nagaoka, Shen Hao etc. It would be 1 or the other for me. Dont weigh yourself down with gear.

I've no experience with 8x10, but 4x5 should do you well, given the short time you have to get used to it. If you're set on a larger format, the older Toyo Original Field is very compact and light, if you manage to find the 8x10 back. The older Fujinons with the inside lettering are great.

Kumar

What about the Wilderness 8x10? There was a thread here recently about this camera and it did look interesting and wasn't very expensive.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy the trip, Frank
    www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com