Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Close your eyes in the darkroom

Re: Close your eyes in the darkroom

I see better (thru my hands) with my eyes closed in total darkness. I guess that shutting ones eyes activates more the other senses.
    Sergio

My website

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Why or why do people (including me) have a habit of pressing their eyelids shut when in the darkroom, as if closing your eyes will make it darker?
    I don't know about other people, but I've never done that. I always keep my eyes open in the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    FWIW, I can see my hands, dimly, in a totally dark room too. I just thought there were still enough photons in the near IF flying around to allow my eyes to just make out a silhouette. I'd love to hear a good explanation of this.
    Your darkroom may not as perfectly dark as you think.
    During the night I can't see anything in mine, not even the faintest trace of my hands, no matter how long I wait for my eyes to adapt. At a certain time during the day, when the sun is in a certain position relative to a nearby window and direct sunlight falls on my darkroom door, I can see a faint outline of my hands after about five minutes (by which time I also begin to see a tiny bit of light coming from under the door).

I find that if I do open my eyes, I get distracted by all the little places where the darkness is leaking out. This is distracting. I prefer to close my eyes, pretend all those leaks went "away" and get down to work.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I find that if I do open my eyes, I get distracted by all the little places where the darkness is leaking out. This is distracting. I prefer to close my eyes, pretend all those leaks went "away" and get down to work.
    John, you need to be careful of those dark leaks. I once slipped and fell in a puddle of dark and bruised my coccyx.

Keep those plastic thingys in your outlets, too. If you think dark is slippery, you've never tried to walk through puddles of electrons.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.