Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Tripod-any advice?

Re: Carbon Tripod-any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    I have some advice...if you go carbon fiber don't submerge it in salt water...EVER.
    As an owner of carbon tripod I am curios too.
    Matus

I was a little curious about this myself so I did a little Goggling, here is my favorite search result.

Sure. it makes non-metallic compounds wet. And salty.
    Other than that, I'd not expect any unpleasant chemical reactions to occur between the polymer chains in plastics and the ions in salt water. Don't know enough about ceramic to answer intelligently, so I won't. Carbon fiber will be unimpressed by salt water.
    Source(s):
    Chemical Lab Tech
    End Quote

Turns out they make sailboat parts and salt water fishing rods out of the stuff. It does sound like there is an issue with metal parts that touch the carbon-fiber, if salt water is involved.

This is exactly why I live in Arizona.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Gitzo makes Series 5 Carbon Fiber tripods, which are the thickest and sturdiest of all the leg diameters available from Gitzo and its photographic competitors. Of course you can use tripods intended for the video market that are rated as being stronger but they are even more expensive.

The website currently lists the 102-inch tall top-of-the-line model - Series 5 Carbon 6X Giant Systematic Tripod - 6 Sec G-Lock - GT5561SGT - as being discontinued but you still might find one at a dealer. Expect to pay over $1200 for it.

The Gitzo 3-series, the largest Fiesol, and the newer Really Right Stuff Carbon Fiber tripods should be adequate for an 8x10 Canham but I prefer overkill in the tripod department. I am surprised Gitzo would discontinue such an important tripod but perhaps the next version is simply delayed?

If you don't mind the weight of Aluminum, used 5-series Gitzo legsets are usually under $400 on eBay. They are nearly indestructible but can weight over 12 lbs, versus the 7.5 lbs a Carbon version would be. One version will go over 110-inches tall, very handy for architecture.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Salt crystals swell when they dry out. They will destroy the bonds between the individual carbon fibers. Additionally as the salt swells it will not allow the legs to extend.

Utah's Great Salt Lake and my tripod have had several intimate encounters. The tripod is suffering in ways that were unpredictable.

I actually started a thread about it here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Salt crystals swell when they dry out. They will destroy the bonds between the individual carbon fibers. Additionally as the salt swells it will not allow the legs to extend.

Utah's Great Salt Lake and my tripod have had several intimate encounters. The tripod is suffering in ways that were unpredictable.

I actually started a thread about it here somewhere...
    That's interesting, the carbon fiber must not be fully impregnated with whatever resin they are using.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

It sounds as though the salt swelling binds the threads and actually expands between the carbon separating the glued joints.
    I don't think the resins used penetrate into the CF it's more like epoxy and metal, it has to have enough surface area for support and grip
    Would this be covered by warrantee?

Deardorff Sales and service

RE: Salt water...A customer in Fla. simply rinses the tripod off in the shower or bathtub on location. No swelling or damage.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Then he must not be getting it very wet. If salt water gets inside the legs you will NEVER ever get it out, even if you disassemble it.

Speaking of the Gitzo Giant 5 series, I have a GT5560SGT with center column I've been angling to sell if anybody is interested... $1000?
    Where you should be hosting your photos: www.SmugMug.com

I use a Feisol CF for 8x10. Have not looked lately, but when I bought it I remember that it is lighter and less expensive than Gitzo. When I ordered it I was concerned that the quality would to be good as I had never seen one in person. But the quality is very good. I now have two Feisol tripods and a monopod.