Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Photographers who have not had any shows

Re: Photographers who have not had any shows

I too thought that having shows was expected. Did it and have move to believe just the process of photographing is satisfying to me. Now, I do have a few shows happening but it's not top priority.
    I also believe that having show(s) or selling a few images can can create a trap. I have seen artists get caught up in producing one genre of work simply because prints sells or response to the work. Its produce and reproduce to get that positive feed back.
    Artist who will succeed in one area then try to explore in another area of their art. Those I admire. I have seen this in some of our greats past and present.

Eric Biggerstaff

Thanks for the kind words Kirk and Merg! I just might have to do one!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Then, about 1970, I ceased exhibiting, and used the energy to concentrate on my commercial and personal work...
    I'm taking this enough out of context that it may not be at all what Merg meant, but it brings up something not yet talked about.

We often cite the disconnect between "commercial" work and "personal" work, but I've been around enough to see that among "non-commercial" photographers competing for exhibitions, publications, and other attention, the chase for success can bend one's vision every bit as much as a commercial client.

Still, it's fun to consider a show. I think being part of a small group show would take away many of the fears and pressures, and make for a more social experience. But for now, I'm happy with my long-running string of exhibitions at The Center for Contemplative Photography, (aka, my bathroom). Ah, yes, I remember being in a two-person show with Ansel Adams there once...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

as the old adage goes:

"location, location, location..."

Do you mean DISPLAY galleries, or SELLING galleries?

Cause any business that wants too keep its doors open needs to have saleable items, not just people taking up space during open hours.

-Dan

I've been in many group shows but never had an individual show. I had an opportunity for an individual show in a sort of "artsy" cafe and turned it down. I figured the cost of framing and matting would have run several thousand dollars for the size and quantity of images needed for the space. I just couldn't see any reason to spend that kind of money to have images displayed in public for a couple months and then have to deal not only with the cost but also with storing so many framed photographs for the rest of my life. If I actively tried to sell my work it might have been a different matter but I don't.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I don't know..taking pix and then sticking them in boxes in the closet is not very fulfilling...but it's marginally better than spending a lot of money and then having a bunch of fools talk about your stuff
    A better idea than a box in the closet is to mount the print, put it in a protective sleeve, and store it in a print rack in the living room with a print easel nearby so that you can enjoy it when the mood strikes. Then if you do decide or are invited to display your work at a public venue, all you need is the hardware. The cost of say, twenty Nielsen frames, while not trivial, is not all that much and thereafter you will be ready to display at a moments notice with everything ready to go and paid for. About the fools...

Just a thought.

Thomas

I casually showed some prints to an aunt who has had a number of successful fine art shows of her oils and mixed-media works. She enthusiastically urged me to phone this and that gallery and talk to so and so about having them display my work.

just not interested.