Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographers who have not had any shows

Photographers who have not had any shows

Just spent Thanksgiving with my brother-in-law, who let us stay in his studio, with all his oils and acrylics. He's never had a show but his work is amazing. He paints with palette knives and brushes, his work is church and home-scenic motivated. Another T-day guest showed her oil painting and it blew me away.

Neither have had any shows but they are both accomplished artists. Made me thing perhaps there are others who have never shown but might be out there making remarkable works of art.

How do you recognize them? I don't know. There's a body of art out there just waiting to be discovered.

Re: Photographers who have not had any shows

I'd say the majority of talented artists never get shown.

Marketing, competition, and fame are not what many people choose for a lifestyle or way of doing art.

There's also the issue of self-promotion and that many artists just don't engage in it. They do their work for themselves and are happy doing just that.

Getting a show in a lessor gallery doesn't do much for one's career. While some would say that you use these as rungs to climb higher up the career ladder, I don't see how having a list of coffee shops and university shows helps you - unless you are faculty and have to prove you are a "working artist" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Shymanski View Post
    There's also the issue of self-promotion and that many artists just don't engage in it. They do their work for themselves and are happy doing just that.
    Very true. Isn't that what started us in photography or any of the arts? The enjoyment we get from creating something it gives us The Acknowledgment that "I made this"

I agree with all of the above. A few months ago I mailed 150 invitations to an art event. I've probably met most of these artists over the past few decades at other events. A few are or were art teachers in elementary or high school. A few teach at workshops. A few exhibit in commercial galleries. Only one out of the 150 is a successful full-time professional artist. Some of the others are equally talented, but lack the academic credentials or critical acclaim to gain acceptance in some circles.

It interests (and worries) me that most of the talk on this and other sites is by men, while most of the 150 artists mentioned above are women. Is there such a strong connection between creation and procreation? Perhaps a psycologist can explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Shymanski View Post
    +1. I rarely show my work to anyone. Just a few close friends, and some presents.

I can't even concieve of having a public showing.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    +1. I rarely show my work to anyone. Just a few close friends, and some presents.

I can't even concieve of having a public showing.
    +1
    For me, the process is therapeutic.
    Creating the negative helps to clear the mind. I am rewarded with the feeling of satisfaction when I can turn out a nice print.

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    +1
    For me, the process is therapeutic.
    Creating the negative helps to clear the mind. I am rewarded with the feeling of satisfaction when I can turn out a nice print.
    Almost a form of meditation for me.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post

It interests (and worries) me that most of the talk on this and other sites is by men, while most of the 150 artists mentioned above are women. Is there such a strong connection between creation and procreation? Perhaps a psycologist can explain.
    Sorry to get off topic, but I personally know more working woman photographers than man photographers. A LF workshop I recently attended was about 1/3 women.

As for the forums, I suspect women have other things to do online which are more interesting to them than this forum, or are less often afflicted with g.a.s., or prefer more structured or personalized learning environments. My wife is not a photography enthusiast, but the forums that interest her are mostly women-oriented sites.