Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foggy days---foggy nights!

Foggy days---foggy nights!

I've never seriously "gone after" fog shots, which is unusual because it get so darned predictably foggy in my neck o' the woods. A Conservancy has opened up a big chunk of wooded riverbottom with well established wide & level foot paths so the temptation is there. I've got some HP-5+, FP-4+ and Arista.eduUltra 100 to play around with. Any suggestions? Recommendations? Or good stories about shooting in the fog?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Foggy days---foggy nights!

FP4 is my favorite fog film. Where is this conservancy land? I'd like to check it out.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

We had ranches in Tipton and Tulare when I was a kid. Tule fog is amazing stuff; scary as hell if you're trying to drive in it but the most fun ever if you're playing hide and seek. I would love to try shooting in it, so ditto to Kerik's request! (Nod to the fog master)

Metering can be a bit of a challenge so I always expose a backup. You can't go wrong with both of those films, developed in pyrocat-hd for nice tones in the fog. Maybe someone should start a fog thread...
    Both images attached HP5, pyrocat-hd.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Listen to Kerik. He's the Pharaoh of Phog.

Sierra Foothill Conservancy? San Joaquin River Conservancy?

My great regret, the only one as it turns out , when I was living in your "neck o' the woods" is not having the vision to pursue the local landscape photographically in foggy conditions. There is much (very) hidden beauty to be revealed in the embrace of that cold gray vapor that is not readily apparent in more obvious light – as Roman Loranc has brought to us a little further north.

Either film should be good in the fog as the visible water vapor will not likely discern differences in grain. It will likely be still enough, before (if) the sun breaks through, that speed differences won't be a concern either. I only get one stop between FP4+ (@100) and HP5 (@200) anyway.

Stilled waters, barns, boats, oaks, lonely roads, dormant agriculture – all great stuff in the grey soup.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Listen to Kerik. He's the Pharaoh of Phog.
    My thoughts too.

Roger

All hail Kerik!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Metering can be a bit of a challenge so I always expose a backup. You can't go wrong with both of those films, developed in pyrocat-hd for nice tones in the fog. Maybe someone should start a fog thread...
    Both images attached HP5, pyrocat-hd.
    I've always used my Spotmeter as per normal no backup and never had a problem. I think though you need to decide whether you use Normal development or not. N+1 or N+2 seems to lose the atmoshric feel of the fog.

Pyrocat HD seems to bring the best out of most films and I've used Delta 100 and Tmax with great results in very foggy conditions.

Tmax 100 @50 EI in Pyrocat HD.

Ian

The wonderful thing about fog is it de-clutters the scene. It allows for the seen, barely seen to suggest what might be unseen.

A fog thread is an excellent suggestion.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.