Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 3880 for Piezography? Should I?

Re: Epson 3880 for Piezography? Should I?

Sorry Brian, this is incorrect information. The warranty can not legally be voided for this reason. Also, not sure what generation of Cone inks you experienced, but current products are remarkably problem free. I've had Piezotone and K7 sets in a 9600, a 7800, a 9880, and a little 1900, and I have far fewer clogging or nozzle performance issues with all of those than my 9800 or certainly my 9900 with OEM inks out of the box.
    And I also use StudioPrint, for color, and to drive the B&W printers, including for B&W using the OEM inks and special setups. For me, The multi density K inksets result in prints with a unique beauty I can't otherwise achieve though.
    Now, the question is... does everyone see that difference, respond to it, or need it? Admittedly, many don't.
    Just as I needed to see the difference myself, between a Portriga and a Forte warm print, people should see these different processes for themselves.

Tyler,

It is really dry here, but with the OM inks this is no problem, but I am wondering with the PZ inks. If you were to print sporadically like I do, would you set up flush carts, flush it and leave it until you print next time? I have a really busy time with my business in the fall for like 4 months and have no time to print. I'm worried about clogs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk,

That's what I do. The expense of the extra set of cartridges is nothing compared to the wasted time and ink of trying to get a clogged printer going.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, How long are your breaks?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Months. For me, BW printing is mostly a winter activity.

In the past, I tried to print weekly, or so, but I can't afford it. Even then I had problems with clogs.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

I'd take Peter's advice or ask Dana at IJM, mine are not inactive for that long, and in Seattle humidity is generally printer friendly..
    T

Thanks all.

Peter you use a dedicated set of carts for that right? You wouldn't want to drain your ink carts into containers and refill them with cleaner I suppose.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Thanks all.

Peter you use a dedicated set of carts for that right? You wouldn't want to drain your ink carts into containers and refill them with cleaner I suppose.
    Yep, I used a dedicated set of cartridges. I have a 4880, and I bought two sets of funnel fill cartridges directly from a place in Hong Kong. They were much cheaper than buying here. They look like the same cartridges that various places sell. The downside, I suppose, is that if you get a bum cartridge, it'd be more of a pain to get a replacement than if you bought from a USA retailer.

For me, the cost of the xtra set of cartridges is cheap enough that I wouldn't want to waste time and ink refilling everything, but it could be done, I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    Sorry Brian, this is incorrect information. The warranty can not legally be voided for this reason. Also, not sure what generation of Cone inks you experienced, but current products are remarkably problem free. I've had Piezotone and K7 sets in a 9600, a 7800, a 9880, and a little 1900, and I have far fewer clogging or nozzle performance issues with all of those than my 9800 or certainly my 9900 with OEM inks out of the box.
    And I also use StudioPrint, for color, and to drive the B&W printers, including for B&W using the OEM inks and special setups. For me, The multi density K inksets result in prints with a unique beauty I can't otherwise achieve though.
    Now, the question is... does everyone see that difference, respond to it, or need it? Admittedly, many don't.
    Just as I needed to see the difference myself, between a Portriga and a Forte warm print, people should see these different processes for themselves.

Tyler, according to the Epson warranty, page 7, "What the warranty does not cover":

2) Any damage caused by using unsuitable inks or ink delivery systems in the printer.

3) Any damage caused by use of non-Epson inks, ink cartridges, or media.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/p.../pro3880wa.pdf

Conversely one can argue the Magnussen-Moss warranty act can counter this, but if Epson determines that the damage was caused by third party inks then they have a case. But who wants to get into that sort of mess, and in the meantime you may be stuck with a broken printer that Epson won't fix unless you pay.

Besides my Epson 9900 I have an Epson 4000. I may re-try the cone inks in that. But I had a nightmare with them in a 1280.

Brian, I need to find the write up about this.. but I know it to be true.. first of all, non of the inks I've used have damaged any printers. I've had Epsons serviced that had Cone inks in them, the reasons for service had nothing to do with the ink. I'll find the info for you soon. The 1280 was a dye printer that was a PITA for all of us trying to use pigments in it. Also, I'm assuming that was Piezotones. While they've given me no trouble the current product line, the K7 inks, are more state of the art inks including delivery. Way less trouble than my Epsons as I said. But I'm not here to sell Cone inks, there's also Paul Roarke's systems, or Tom Mallonee's inks. I'm partial to Jon's though, probably obvious by now...
    How's your 9900 been working in that regard? Mine's been a nightmare.. and Epson tech lived here for about a week...