Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When not Photoshop then what ... ?

Re: When not Photoshop then what ... ?

here's another option:
    enroll in a local community college photo program(or another class, say 1x/week you can enjoy), and once you have your student i.d. card, march over to adobe and demand the student discount . Many community colleges here in the USA(at least the ones I've attended locally) carry Adobe products in the "student store". If you're a student w/ an active student id, you can get it for the student-level pricing. Its the only way I could afford CS4 at the time it came out... And its still way more than I need 95% of the time

-Dan

EDIT: you don't have to remain a student from semester to semester, you can do a semester/term, get a class and a copy of your new PS upgrade(for a nice discount), and be on your merry way! "Rinse, dry, repeat" so to speak, every 2-3yrs or how often you want/need to "upgrade".

Sometimes some lame-sounding class can be a great deal. When I taught a digital imaging class at VSW years ago, they had a brand new (at the time) Espon 7000 and plenty of ink and paper for a modest lab fee. Since most of the students were too lazy to do anything - and the other "profs" didn't have any idea how to turn the scary thing one - the couple who did have it on the ball (and umm, the prof) printed like crazy for peanuts.

I have high hopes for Pixelmator in the future. One alternative that I haven't really explored yet is Hasselblad's Phocus software. It will open just about anything as far as I can tell, and it is FREE. You just have to give them your email.

Personally, I have the CS4 suite since I use other programs in it besides Photoshop, in fact I use almost all of them. My main program though is Lightroom. I used Aperture for a while, but settled on Lightroom, although until I bought a new computer a few months ago I still used Aperture with my IPhone pictures since the color was so much better. I am thinking about buying it again just for that. DPP from Canon is another program I use. I really only use Photoshop these days for advanced editing and cleaning up scans.

I agree with Frank. If someone comes out with capable software people will move to it. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we were all using other software in a decade. I don't think Adobe's business model is going to last.

- r.e. -
    You must have misread my posts before - I do plan to upgrade my OS (though not to Lion for technical reasons - I will probably wait for the next updated there) and also the hardware (more RAW and new battery) and I would buy the Photoshop, but the price is out of my range now (maybe it will not be in a year from now).

There was a proposal to enroll some class to be eligible for student discount. Well - as far as I know one must really enroll a University to get that granted in Germany.

I actually hoped to hear a bit more about your experience with software other than Photoshop.
    Matus

What about PaintShop Pro? I thought that did 16/48 bit images, but from their site it appears that I've mis-remembered. Google will have to guide you, and I'd say that 16/48 bit should be your guide, with layers being very important as well. It's going to be a compromise any way you go. Personally, I'd see what I could sell on Ebay, or extra work I could do for some extra cash. The only gripe that most people have with Photoshop is the price, and it's that way for a reason, ya know.

Last edited by Brent Long; 26-Nov-2011 at 07:07. Reason: Add a link.

Thanks! I will definitely try them out. The PhotoLine looks in particular interesting.
    Matus

PhotoLine looks interesting to me, too. I downloaded it and will play with it when I get some time. Picture Window Pro was being used by Norman Koren, apparently to very good effect. He couldn't seem to recommend it highly enough.

Scott Brewer

if you want to try Elements you can pick it up for $50 this weekend at Staples. I finally tried it and was impressed. I don't know about the file size limitations but it was pretty good.

can you just migrate onto a new setup? Seems to work. PS3 is great, use it all the time on my older desktop. Unless you need newer camera support for ACR, I actually prefer some of the interface stuff thy changed later...
    Tyler