Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: matte box shade anyone?

Re: matte box shade anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Thank you for the correction.

I have revised my post to read "almost all extraneous light has been removed".

<snip>
    Mr. Ken Lee,
    respectfully, I have to inform you, that in doing so (i.e. revising your post with a different wording) in the time indicated by your posting, you were actually acting against the rules of this forum! And as if that behaviour of a moderator were not shocking enough in itself, in order to act the way you did you needed to misuse your special faculties given to you as a moderator - namely, the faculty to override the forum’s automatic editing time limits, otherwise valid for all forum members.

As a forum’s moderator you are surely well aware of the fact, that members are not allowed to re-edit their posts after a time delay of 20 (25?) minutes. What is more, posts cannot be edited once they were commented upon by other posters. You, Mr. Lee, have gone against both of these rules in re-editing the post in question after more that 3hrs and after it has already been commented upon- a possibility given to you only because of your moderator’s special access to the editing software.

Your forbidden acting is sad even more so considering the fact, that by revising your post you left a post of another forum member (my own) hanging with citations that are not anymore precise thus making another member either lying or seemed incapable or unwilling of a precise citation. It is exactly this kind of situation that is the reason why this forum doesn’t allow re-editing posts that has already been commented on.

Mr. Lee - why did you act in this forbidden way? Did you perhaps wish to «*cover » your technically erroneous affirmation in your post? If so, couldn’t you simply correct your opinion in a new post? Especially when you anyway admitted your error in your following post - since you corrected your opinion after my critical remark (subsequently deleted by you!). What is the reason that you went to such a length so as to use your moderating privilege to override forum’s editing rules? Could you, please, explain this behaviour of yours?
    (BTW - even after your correction your re-edited affirmation is technically incorrect - but that is a different story.)

Hello George!

A cinema matte box is usually mounted on a rail system that keeps the weight off the lens and lens mount. Advantage is ability to use same filter system for all your cine lenses and in some cases use multiple filters. Seems like it would be difficult to mount one on a field camera but might work on a monorail, however there would a few issues to deal with (the lens to MB interface would have to be modified, a rail system would have to be configured, and the MB height would need to be adjusted probably by machining a new mounting block) so the little benefit would unlikely be worth the effort. I'd love to have one of those Sinar shade systems. Question: Is the same system used on both the 8x10 and 4x5 systems and is is the same system between the F and P models?

Once,

A name would be helpful,
    Attached are two descriptions of a compendium for a large format camera. One from the book "Large Format Photography" from Grosbild and the other the compendium description page from a Linhof catalog. You might also want to check pages 93 and 94 of Jim Stone's book "A User Guide to the View Camera".

Here is the other

Actually, both. Attachments and I don't get along.

Bob,
    I know how a compendium lens shade looks.
    I suppose you did not perform the simple test I suggested that proves your lens shade geometrical concept is wrong. Never mind, it's easier just to toss here and there a few marketing pictures from manufactures. That's why I told you that HP Marketing (i.e. the access to these brochures) won't help to understand the underlying geometry.
    Have a good day (and once you want to actually see you're wrong do the tests I suggested).

I didn't post them to show you what a compendium looks like. I posted them so you could read what they do.

I know what lens shades do.
    Have a good day (and once you want to actually see you're wrong do the tests I suggested).