Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar f+ vs. F1 or F2

Re: Sinar f+ vs. F1 or F2

I'd choose one based on condition, now that Fs, F-pluses, and F1s seem to be selling for only $300 on average. They are an incredible bargain.

Of course I like the F2 and Norma better but still, for $300 you're getting into a system camera - they often come with extras like rails, bag bellows, fresnels, lensboards - it's pretty hard to beat. The "better" models are slightly better -- not 2-3x the price so.

When you buy a camera body from KEH, does it usually have the back or do you have to buy to back as a seperate parts like a lens boad?

It should be a functional camera with a back and rail clamp. It may need a lensboard, and of course a lens.

Holders, loupe, darkcloth, tripod, etc.

When you buy from a good private seller they often include accessories. I would consider this Sinar F2 to be an excellent deal:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=82295

That's a very reliable seller too, but I have no association or responsibility here. I just know it would be a better bet than KEH by a mile....

You could even resell the pieces you don't need and lower the cost to you.

I shouldn't brag but if you do it right, the camera will be free.

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Rick, other than packing lighter are there other advangages to the Sinar F orver the Cambo SC?
    The reason I switched to the Sinar is that I wanted to use roll-film holders with really short lenses. Even with a recessed board on the Cambo, it was impossible to get it to focus a 47mm Super Angulon unless I reversed the rear standard. But that required the roll-film holder to sit down between the uprights making it impossible to pull the dark slide. So, it had to be used vertically. Also, the tripod block could not be between the standards. And the fixed rail had to mostly poke out the back to keep the front from being in the picture, which poked me in the chest. I actually bought the Cambo bag bellows and a rail that I cut down to solve some problems but still there was too much compromise and hassle.

With the Sinar, I can use down to a 47 on a flat board, especially using the excellent Wide-Angle Bellows 2. There are no uprights to get in the way and that's why it takes less space in a case. I don't use the scales and other calculators on the camera, though, preferring to check camera movements on the ground glass. A Maxwell screen makes that easy even with the 47.

KEH will generally sell view cameras ready to use except for a lens board. You may need a different bellows or whatnot, but these are easy to find for Sinar cameras.

Rick "for whom Sinar represents the best value on the use market for a rail camera" Denney

how much does a standard complete sinar f1 weigh. I saw on the sinar website that both the f1 and f2 weigh 3.6 kg or about 8lbs. Are they really the same?

Somewhere along the line, Sinar made the F rise/fall rods longer. I believe the original F has the short rods, which still provide plenty of rise, but can make for a more compact package, especially when combined with a Norma rail clamp.

I saw on the sinar website that both the f1 and f2 weigh 3.6 kg or about 8lbs. Are they really the same?
    In my brochure from Sinar in german, they state for the F1 3,3 Kg!

Cheers Armin

Drew Wiley

The f2 will be a tiny bit heavier due to the fully enclosed base on the front standard
    and longer rise legs (I trimmed mine down). A bit of difference is the rear too if a meter
    back is involved. Not enough difference to really matter weight wise. Factor in some
    extra rail extension if needed. I've got 24 inches of reail and an overlength bellows and
    it adds up to about eight pounds with the F2, or nine pounds on the Norma.

Les

To OP

I saw Sinar F2 for sale at Glazier for around $300 (w/o lens). You may want to check it out.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    To OP

I saw Sinar F2 for sale at Glazier for around $300 (w/o lens). You may want to check it out.

Les
    Les, you sure it was an F2? I was there two months ago and they had a Sinar Alpina (A1). It's a nice camera and in later versions looked somewhat like an F2, except that it has a shaped extruded rail rather than the standard Sinar extendable round rail. Maybe that one's gone and they've gotten an F2 in stock. If it's an F2, that's a great price. If it's an A1, it's a good price.

Rick "who makes it a point to stop in to Glazer's at during every visit to Seattle" Denney