Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar f+ vs. F1 or F2

Sinar f+ vs. F1 or F2

What is the difference between a Sinar F+ and an F1? Also an F2?

jadphoto

Re: Sinar f+ vs. F1 or F2

I'm not familiar with the F+ but there are a couple of differences (improvements?) on the F2.

On the F2 the shift and swing locks are separate, so you can move one without unlocking the other. On the F1 there is only one lock for both movements.

The F2 has micro focus on both standards, on the F1 it is only on the rear standard.

Also the F2 front standard is a little more robust than on the F1. All of these improvements make the F2 a couple of pounds heavier.

As far as I know, those are the only differences. I seem to remember that the F+ was sort of a transitional between the F and the F1. But I am not at all sure about that.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    What is the difference between a Sinar F+ and an F1? Also an F2?
    The F+ is an F. Whatever differences there are with the F have escaped me. It may have had to do with what was included in the kit.

The F1 is similar to the F except that the rise locks have been changed to match those on the F2, along with other cosmetic changes to the color and the knobs.

The F2 has an improved front standard that provides geared focus. After the first couple of years, the F2 was modified to provide an independent shift lock.

Rick "noting a Wall Street Camera catalog from 1978 that lists the F as an F+" Denney

Thanks for the information. I don't think the Sinar F is really any lighter than my Cambo but it might be easier to pack smaller because the verticals are inside the edges of the stanards rather than outside like the Cambo. My CC-400 certainly is more compact than the Cambo.
    Any thoughts there???

The Sinar F definitely packs more compactly than a Cambo SC. The short, extendable base rail is certainly one key reason. The inboard rise columns is another.

Rick "who has both" Denney

Rick, other than packing lighter are there other advangages to the Sinar F orver the Cambo SC?

Th F can use wide angle lenses on flat lens boards. I've used 47, 65, and 90 on flat lens boards.

jadphoto

The F1 and F2 both have Sinar's depth of field calculator, and the swing/tilt angle calculator.

Both will speed up the shooting workflow considerable. At least they do for me.

Also, they both accept the Sinar fresnel, which clips in behind the gg and is easily removed if you don't want it. Only takes a second or two to install/remove it.

I haven't used a Cambo in a while, although we have several at school and they are excellent. But to me the Sinar just feels nicer and I think is a little bit lighter. But then I've only used the entry level Calumet branded Cambos.

As far a weight is concerned my F1 weighs 7 pounds without a lens and with a Norma tripod mount. I prefer a Norma tripod block when in the field due to it's lower profile.

JD

Thanks for the good info!

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Rick, other than packing lighter are there other advangages to the Sinar F orver the Cambo SC?
    A huge advantage to some is that the Sinar F can use the Sinar shutter. Of course this isn't important to everyone.