Thread: New dust removal software

New dust removal software

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how many of you have ICE-enabled LF scanners, but I thought I'd drop a note here that I developed a little program to do dust removal. Check out the full thread on RFF!

Re: New dust removal software

Looks cool. I'd be interested in a Windows/Linux version (hopefully it would work under Wine on Ubuntu). Using that alpha channel is something I played with many moons ago, but was unable to make it work as there seemed to be a misregistration between the alpha and other channels; something that I've seen others also note recently. I suspect there is just some physics that make it difficult to get right, and that is why, for example, most of the OEM scanning software does, at least slightly, blur the entire image somewhat. Vuescan doesn't blur the entire image, but doesn't do a good job of actually removing the dust, either.

Peter

Am I the only one who gets a blank page when I click on the link? Safari and Firefox.

Peter

I get a blank page as well.
    Maybe the Ice program is on.

I downloaded it yesterday afternoon (Safari) without any problem, it opens fine, then you select an image from the File menu using Open or Open Recent. I've not processed anything yet, but the "work screen" looks fine. This would be a great replacement for the old Polaroid Dust and Scratches, which won't work under OS 10.7.

Hi guys,

Happy Thanksgiving! The link is a direct link to the app, so it should just download. When you open the app, it doesn't bring up a window yet, so you just have to go to File > Open or drag an image onto the app.

I tried running a 4x5 through it yesterday, and it used a lot of RAM. I'm going to tweak it tomorrow so that it handles giant files a little more gracefully.

I can also build in offset controls for the alpha channel, but there's some wiggle room built in to the algorithm, so if it's only offset by 1-3 pixels, it shouldn't be a problem.