Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite mid December?

Re: Yosemite mid December?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Not a chance, blessedly quiet in the mornings, and after snows can actually feel deserted. My favorite time.
    Absolutely beautiful.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

...Or you can splurge on lodging at the Ahwahnee Hotel!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

The lodging outside of the Park doesn't work well in winter. It's quite a drive in ... if you have a storm you may not get in.

If your wife isn't a camper, the only real option is the Yosemite Lodge ... the Ahwahnee is exorbitantly expensive and the Wawona ... while beautiful ... is way outside of the valley where all the iconic sights are ... many within walking distance from the Lodge. The Lodge has dining across the street and the village ... via a free shuttle bus (which covers most of the valley) ... is only about 3/4 of a mile away ... very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    I dont think there is enough alcohol in California to get my wife to agree to a tent.
    There are wood cabins in Curry Village, some with their own showers that are not as bad as staying in a canvas tent.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Chris, good point. I forgot about that. There is also the Stoneman House in Curry. I stayed there in march after the big storm that knocked out power and dumped 6 feet of snow in the valley. Now that was a fun trip. Yes i did need chains that time!

The tent cabins are pretty comfortable in the winter, if you get the heated ones. I just felt guilty about all of the energy it takes to keep those things as warm as my wife kept it....
    Robert Oliver

The Stoneman House and the Curry cabins are probably the best compromise between comfort and price in the winter time. Definitely the best time to be in the Valley IMO. Don't forget to visit the Ansel Adams Gallery. :-)
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

I'd look into a room at the Yosemite Lodge or Curry (preferrably the cabins in Curry, but the heated tents I've heard work OK. Of course if you have plenty of moo-lah, the Ahwannee could be a real treat, but aye carumba!.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Jeffery is right. Hope you get a storm. I was up there Veterans day weekend and WOW! Fog in the valley, clearing clouds, etc. etc. etc. Some of my best negatives to date.
    I just missed it Jim, I was in the valley for the five days before that weekend. Most of the time not a cloud in the sky, some snow but, still very nice and not too crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    The lodging outside of the Park doesn't work well in winter. It's quite a drive in ... if you have a storm you may not get in.

If your wife isn't a camper, the only real option is the Yosemite Lodge ... the Ahwahnee is exorbitantly expensive and the Wawona ... while beautiful ... is way outside of the valley where all the iconic sights are ... many within walking distance from the Lodge. The Lodge has dining across the street and the village ... via a free shuttle bus (which covers most of the valley) ... is only about 3/4 of a mile away ... very convenient.
    From what everybody is saying it sounds like the lodge is going to be our best bet.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.