Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on the Gitzo GT 3541L?

Re: Any thoughts on the Gitzo GT 3541L?

I use the 3541LS. I shoot 4X5 and have been very satisfied. My only advice would be to consider putting some "Loctight" on the tripod's feet. I've found they unscrew very easily.

Still Developing

Fantastic tripod - crap glue. I've had to reglue all of the feet and also one of the legs that came out. Saying that I do use the long spikes which are fantastic but place additional load on the camera. I've used West Systems epoxy (pro boat building epoxy) to glue things back together and everything has been fine since. You'll be happy definitely (although I wouldn't have got the centre column)
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

I had the 3541L for several months but sold it because it was a little too big for my travel needs. Super tripod if you need the height. I tried to go to a carbon fiber Manfrotto but the center column is not nearly as smooth as the Gitzo. I also prefer the twist locks over the flip locks. Once you get the hang of the twist locks they are quicker to use then the flip locks.

Re: feet on the Gitzo. they will come loose. I lost one while on assignment in Egypt and they were a bit difficult to find over there so I had to shoot without one for 3 months. Not fun. I now crank them down pretty hard and keep a couple spares in the bag and I have not had any issues.

So the tripod arrived today and I don't know what to think about it.

To be honest, it kind of feels cheap. Now I'll admit that maybe it's the nature of the lightweight material, but it seems brittle and doesn't have the nice feel of the old Gitzo 1500 aluminum tripod that I used years ago. The legs don't slide particularly smoothly and I don't really love the feel of the twist locks, though they seem to work fine.

Do these carbon tripods really hold up? I don't abuse my gear but it gets used pretty hard and often. It just feels fragile to me. My old Gitzo aluminum tripod got pretty scratched up. Will those sort of scratches weaken the carbon fiber tubes?

I got my Benro unstuck. It's a bit heavier than the Gitzo but it seems more solid as well. It goes a few inches higher (without using the center column on either) and at full height, they seem similar in stiffness and stability.

The reason I wanted a gitzo was I thought it would be tougher and more reliable. But I've heard lots of stories like Tim's about legs and other stuff falling off, and I'm wondering if they're really any better than the cheap imitations.

Someone convince me not to send the thing back. I already requested an RMA but I could still change my mind.

If that's how you feel right off the bat, return it while there's still time before you leave.
    I can recommend this, because I use it:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...13_Tripod.html

I can't imagine a Benro or Induro being a better product than the Gitzo. I certainly liked the similar one I had but in the end it seemed rather silly to tie up nearly a grand in one tripod so I went back to the metal Gitzos and bought more film/paid bills with the $700 difference. But it was a really sweet tripod, I didn't think it felt cheap at all and I can be snobby about that stuff too.

For tossing around I agree the metal Gitzos will hold up much better than the CF tripods, which are really meant for upscale enthusiasts more than rough-and-tumble commercial work. I guess I was a little prissy because I always stored mine in the bag and then put it into the grip case carefully packing around it. With the metal ones I just toss them in with the light stands.

Right now I have an older 3-series metal 1326 Gitzo with that Linhof head, it is great for Technikas and such. But once I get paid I should look for another Gitzo 1504 type tripod, those are great when you work out of the car or in the studio.

If you want an inexpensive tough tripod maybe a Tiltall? It will hold a 4x5 Techika just fine. Only reason I got rid of mine was out of snobbery and lack of leg spreading (Tiltall = old girlfriend!)

I'm not saying the Benro is a better product, just that the Gitzo feels a bit fragile to me.

Has anyone really traveled with a Gitzo CF tripod and can it stand up to abuse?

I'd love to get a 1504 for use closer to home. My old 1500 was solid and the height of the 1504 would be useful on certain occasions, but of course I'd have to pack a ladder.

I flew with the XLS model in it's protective bag to prevent the legs from getting scratched, I tossed this bag into a bigger Lightware case with stands, clamps, umbrellas, etc. and flew it on 15 to 18, 3 to 5-hour flights over two years. It looked mint. It probably had a few minor scuffs somewhere.

I think it is like ski poles, if you slice the fibers with a sharp edge you'll compromise the integrity but compression, scraping, and scuffing isn't going to do much.

I have 2 Gitzo CF tripods, a 1227 that I travel with, and a 1325 I use closer to home. I have had them for several/many years and do not baby them and they work as well now as when they were new. If they disappeared I would replace them with whatever the current version is without hesitation.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    I'm not saying the Benro is a better product, just that the Gitzo feels a bit fragile to me.

Has anyone really traveled with a Gitzo CF tripod and can it stand up to abuse?
    I wonder whether your concern about the Gitzo has to do with the fact that you have been using aluminum. Carbon fiber is light, but it is not fragile.

I've owned a Gitzo 1325 (no centre column) for at least six years and I have travelled extensively with it - New Zealand, Middle East, North Africa, Europe, North America. I don't baby it. It goes, cushioned with clothes, into a Dakine roller bag like this one - http://www.dakine.com/p/bags/luggage...it-roller---lg - as checked baggage. It has never suffered any damage, and one of the great things about the tripod is that it will fit into one of those bags.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic