Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Website

Facial Hair Enthusiast

New Website

Hello all. I have just launched a website that corresponds with a new series of work. I'm trying to promote the site and also get some feedback on the site's functionality. What do you think?

http://www.newhallucinations.com

Joshua Tree, California

Re: New Website

I dunno about the name seems a little creepy. It works fine on my monitor but the large size will impede viewing on small screens like laptops.

Facial Hair Enthusiast

For a little clarification, this is my artist statement:

Habit is defined as a behavior pattern acquired by frequent repetition or physiologic exposure that shows itself in regularity. Psychological pioneer Sigmund Freud’s writing suggests that people are creatures of habit. In his essay Remembering, Repeating, and Working-Through, Freud coins the term “repetition compulsion” to describe persons that suffer from certain psychological disorders who replicate their behavior to repress unwanted memories. Likewise, a daily commute and its repetition of actions hinders ones perception of the passing world, rendering a driver blind to the life around them. Although no scientific correlation exists between the automation of a commute and Freud’s theories concerning the repression of unwanted (disturbing) memories, the latter does pose a paradigm for the act of repression through repetitive behavior. New Hallucinations represents a conscious departure from the habitual nature of daily commutes by giving notice to the minute details of often overlooked spaces. While the images are not ultimately about the streets on which I travel, the freedom of movement offered by the road is vital to my process. The world is my palette and the street serves as the catalyst for my discovery.
    Photography as a medium has special characteristics that delineate it from other forms of art. For one, a photograph represents that which, “has indeed been”. Every photograph is steeped with implied truth, as every image is made with an interval of passing time, bearing witness to something that has existed within space. However, as Roland Barthes claims, a photograph “is not there,” it is not the thing itself, but rather a representation of the thing depicted. Photography, then, can be interpreted as a new form of hallucination being simultaneously in front of you yet not there at all. This duality coupled with New Hallucinations’ banal imagery, amounts to a state of hyperreality. The world is fleeting; as one drives, one unknowingly passes scenes that may never again be witnessed. New Hallucinations archives these temporal epiphanies, confronting the viewer with a fragment of what exists on the periphery of perception, simultaneously inviting its audience to look beyond the bustle of everyday life.

Patrick Sheehan

Why not put that statement on the splash page so everyone is clear?

Site is very cool viewed from my iPad. I enjoy innovative sites like this. Please don't clutter your site with your statement. No offense.

Cool design, and I like the series! On my screen, I have to scroll down to see the bottom of the vertical shots, and the images are a little pixelated from being blown up so much. I'm on a 1920x1200 display.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patapuss View Post
    For a little clarification, this is my artist statement:
    There was a thread a while back where one of the members was looking for help with his artist's statement. I'm sure he would appreciate help from someone like you who can actually write one of these things.

I'm viewing your website on a notebook with a 1024x768 screen. What is really annoying about the website is that you have Javascript to pop to the top or the bottom, like a loop. It is interesting that the images can be moved independently.

Facial Hair Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What is really annoying about the website is that you have Javascript to pop to the top or the bottom, like a loop.
    The loop is a device to reinforce the idea of habit or repetition of action. I am trying to reprogram the site so that the image size adjusts to the size of the window, aleviating the cut off vertical images.

it's pretty buggy in firefox. Pictures are sort of flickering all over the place. pictures are too big to view in my (pretty big) monitor.

On the splash page, it's pretty confusing where to go to see some pictures.

You might check out the post "your website sucks" on the A Photo Editor blog. I'm not trying to be snarky, that's the name of the post. It's good.

Innovative design. I like the moving picts around bit but on my 15 inch MacBook I'm not sure what that gains me. Seems like you are on to something. Don't care for the artist statement (I hate almost all artists statements!).

--Darin