Thread: Step-Up Rings

Step-Up Rings

Hello All,

I am fairly new to LF, and own a 4x5 with the following lenses: (1) Nikkor SW 90 mm f8, (2) Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 135 mm, f5.6, (3) Nikkor M 200 mm f8, and (4) Nikkor M 300 mm f9. The corresponding filter thread sizes are 67 mm,49 mm,52 mm,and 52mm. Can I use step up rings to 67 mm on the 49 and 52 mm thread lenses? Will I vigneting? I would like to standardize to a single size if possible to save on weight and space in my back-pack. Thank you.

Shilesh

Step-Up Rings

Yes, you can (and IMO should) use step up rings to standardize your filter size. Remember, with LF, your image circle is much larger than the film, so even stacking filters usually won't cause "vignetting" like with the smaller formats, where the image circle just barely covers the frame. With LF, you can check for vignetting by looking through the cut corners of your GG if it has cut corners, and you avoid it by stopping down until you can see the full circle of the aperture blades.

Step-Up Rings

Stepping up to a larger filter size should actually reduce the potential of vignetting on the smaller lenses. I use a similar step-up ring arrangement, but have "standardized" on 77mm filters for other reasons. The issue then becomes flare reduction by using an appropriate lens shade.

Another alternative to consider is a 100mm gel/resin filter system, such as the HiTech filter-holder system, and adapter rings for your specific lenses. Gel and resin filters, while requiring greater care in use, tend to be much less expensive than glass.

Step-Up Rings

Like you, the lenses I own have a maximum filter thread diameter of 67mm. All of the filters I own (a fair pile) are 67mm glass filters. I own two step up rings, one 52->67 and one 49->67.

Because I am a lazy person, I have often contemplated getting a step up ring (and new front lens cap) for the three lenses I own that require step up rings, so that I don't have to put the step up rings on and take them off repeatedly. (I already have one cable release per lens).

Anyway, step up rings work fine this way, I've been doing it for years. Before you commit, you might want to consider settling on 72mm instead of 67mm for the size, there are some interesting lenses that require 72mm filters. (210mm Apo-Symmar, for instance, as well as the 90mm Super-Angulon XL)

Step-Up Rings

Thank you everybody. I believe I am going to standardize to 72 mm, that way I can use all filters from my 35 mm SLR gear which was standardized to 72 mm.

Regards.

Shilesh