Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: best method to process film?

Re: best method to process film?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ---------

That said, tray processing requires more skill than other methods. The simpler the technology, the more skill required to use it, generally speaking. Most other developing methods exist because tray processing presents the risk of damage by scratching. It takes some practice to get good at it and, like anything that requires skill, you need to practice to keep your skills honed.

My technique is to develop up to six 4x5 sheets in a deep 5x7 tray, face up (I like the Paterson trays that have grooves instead of ridges on the bottom). I shuffle through the stack (once every 30 sec. for the first half of development, once every minute for the second). I shuffle from the bottom along the horizontal (short) axis. Six sheets once through in 30 seconds is five seconds per shuffle. Not difficult at all with practice.

I've tried other methods, but returned to trays because I believe I can get more even development that way. That said, I really had to perfect my agitation technique to keep from getting overly-dense edges. No pushing down rapidly, etc. that might cause turbulence.

Trays have the advantage of being fast to set up, portable and require very little space. I've taken chemicals and trays with me on trips and developed in dark hotel bathrooms. My apartment in Vienna has only a small "darkroom" (the bathroom), but I can still get five 5x7 trays on the counters, enough for pre-soak, dev, stop, and two fixes.

Bottom line: if you're cheap, have OCD and willing to put in the time practicing and have the space, I'd recommend trays. If not, choose whichever of the other methods that suit your personality and needs. Such things are highly individual.

Best,

Doremus
    When I tried tray development, I always had problems with my hands being too warm which cause "hot spots" of over development on the negatives. I wore nitrile gloves and would dip my fingers in cold water periodically, but I could not fix the problem. Perhaps I could have increased my developer temp from 68 to decrease the differential but I gave up. I was drawn to the simplicity of tray processing but could not get even development. The unevenness was sometimes hard to discern because of the naturally variegated tones on the negative. But even areas of Zone V density like sky were too often messed up. Plus, I tend to shoot large amounts of film sporadically so the Jobo's are more pleasant o use for that. I think trays would be more comfortable for someone who shoots smaller amounts of film often, rather than 50+ sheets. Just some thoughts.

What are some experiences with HP/Combi???

I don't have a real darkroom so I use Combiplan in the kitchen for 4x5. It works well for me. For 8x10 I line up trays in the bathtub in a bathroom with no windows. Kneeling over the bathtub for 20 minutes isn't very much fun until I see the negatives. Then it's worth it.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I use Unicolor print drums (8x10) on a Uniroller....you can process 4 sheets at a time, and I love it. Never had a problem with development related issues. Then again, I am fairly new to LF, so may not have noticed issues that others would have.

I am happy with my system.

Avi
    Scientist by day and night, photographer in between.

I prefer trays for even development and large batches. As pointed out by Doremus, the process takes practice to perfect. I always use a pre-soak, and develop up to twelve sheets at a time in an 8x10 tray. The method of agitation is critical.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I learned to process B&W film by hand inversion using daylight tanks for 35mm, 120, and 4x5. Gradually I migrated to the following methods:

35mm and 120 B&W film: Hand inversion using jobo tanks and reels
    4x5 and 8x10 B&W: Rotary processing with Jobo 3010 and 2500 series tanks.
    4x5 B&W (stand/zone development): Kodak hard rubber tanks and holders.
    8x10 X-ray: Tray (I'm currently in the market for a tank or 2).
    All color is rotary processed with a CPA.

Thomas

multiplex

trays, or hangers, as long as the hangers aren't messed-up

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Hangers work very well for me.
    Me too. Leedal tank line has never let me down. A form of therapy occurs in the dark as I do the dance with the neg.

Four 4x5 Tacos in a Paterson 2-reeler. Simple & cheap, regular agitation, stand, semi-stand, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ... I really had to perfect my agitation technique to keep from getting overly-dense edges....
    I have to work on this today, I remain committed to tray processing film.

Denser edges + light falloff at the enlarger + visual effect of edge weakness = three issues going the wrong direction. (Many photographic issues cancel each other out - not this set).

Also when it comes to the risk of scratches, I continue to improve but cannot entirely eliminate the very fine ones.

I have resigned to living with these two issues, minimized to the best extent possible, but consider these flaws I risk are part of the aesthetic of tray processing.

Fred Picker would not have agreed, he classified film processing as routine work that should be performed efficiently. He would prefer perfect negatives. I cannot fault anyone for wanting that.