Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: best method to process film?

Re: best method to process film?

I tried the "taco" in a hand tank. It seemed like it would be a great method but for some reason it didn't work out. The development was uneven???
    I also have hangers. I need two more tanks so I can go from tank to tank with the hangers. I may try the taco method again today...it seems so simple???

I use a MOD Photographic 4x5 Processor in a Paterson 3 reel tank. It takes six 4x5 negatives and with gentle agitation it gives excellent results. Do a search for MOD Photographic for details.

Hi,

I read all the comments on the Combi Plan tank, some positive and quite a lot negative. I bought one second hand on Ebay for £31 (about $45) and have found it to be excellent. If it leaks check that the valves are properly closed. I found it best to practice in daylight with some old negatives, it takes a while to be able to positively position the film in the correct slots. Be careful not to push the film retaining clip too far down after film has been loaded. I found this could cause the adjacent sheets to touch. All the best, I am only a few months ahead of you.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the boatman View Post
    Hi,

I read all the comments on the Combi Plan tank, some positive and quite a lot negative. I bought one second hand on Ebay for £31 (about $45) and have found it to be excellent. If it leaks check that the valves are properly closed. I found it best to practice in daylight with some old negatives, it takes a while to be able to positively position the film in the correct slots. Be careful not to push the film retaining clip too far down after film has been loaded. I found this could cause the adjacent sheets to touch. All the best, I am only a few months ahead of you.

Jack
    Do you have the Film Loading Guide that comes with a CombiPlan?

Bob,

Thanks for your reply, yes I do, but I have found it easier to just do it by touch.

Jack

Stradibarrius,

In the Paterson 2-reeler, I increase chemicals to 800 ml. Never had uneven development, but have screwed up a few times. (usually hair-bands coming off until found a smaller (tighter) hair-band).

I use a little of each - BTZS tubes, trays, and hangars. I use the BTZS tubes to develop/stop. BTW, I'm not sure why they would end up in the "gear head" category - mine don't have any gears. To me it's the most trouble free method, and I've tried them all. My particular situation is that I don't have a completely dark darkroom. I can only process at night, so the BTZS tubes fits my needs. I can load them in my completely dark closet, and bring them out into the not-so-darkroom. I have a deep sink that I keep the tray in, with the developer caps loaded. It's dark down in the sink so that I can transfer the caps. After putting the developer caps on the tubes, I can turn my safelight on and finish the process because, as Fred Newman has demonstrated, you don't need complete darkness after the developer. I put the opened tubes in a stop bath tray, and then transfer the films to hangars in Yankee tanks for fix, hypo clear, wash and photoflow.

When it comes to rotary processing, I'd love to know why anyone would choose to take out a loan to buy a Jobo system instead of a Unicolor drum and base system? What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by aclark View Post
    So far nobody has mentioned the Paterson Orbital Processor. Very convenient and easy to use. Load in the dark, then do everything in daylight. does 4 sheets at a time.
    That's what I use and I don't wish for anything else.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    When it comes to rotary processing, I'd love to know why anyone would choose to take out a loan to buy a Jobo system instead of a Unicolor drum and base system? What am I missing?
    Automation. A JOBO processor provides very accurate and consistent control of time, temperature and agitation, and it's programmable, so it remembers multiple processing routines. One need only load the film, press a button and walk away with confidence one's film will be processed as programmed.